Cincinnati Babies

What is your childcare situation?

I'm not sure that we've ever asked this question in a centralized manner. Just out of curiosity, what does (or will) your childcare coverage look like (SAHM/D, daycare, family-care, in-home, nanny, a combination)? 

ETA: I don't mean give the name of your center/provider or anything like that, just a general idea of the different solutions we all use.

Re: What is your childcare situation?

• Currently, we "employ" a combination:

Mon & Thurs - My mom cares for the boys (through the school year, with my aunt/her sister coming over to help, most days, for a few hours, especially when she wants to take them (or just J) places).

Tues & Wed - Through the school year (since DH is a teacher), someone comes to the house (9am-3pm) to care for the boys.

Fridays - I'm off work, so I get an "extra day" to play with the boys. Big Smile

• We take the kids to an in-home sitter. She only watches my children, and two gradeshool kids after school as well. I love my sitter, and I have a very hard time imaging our situation any other way. In-home care was always my personal preference.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • All me, all the time :) SAHM. I'm teasing, it's not all the time... just feels like it :)

Also, I guess it's kind of relevant, DH works from home full time when not traveling so, if I need to do something that requires childcare, he does it.  If he's traveling and I need to do stuff without the kids one of the IL's helps out - they're semi-retired with super flexible schedules.

I feel super lucky!  (I don't mean b/c we don't have to use daycare - I mean because it's all free!! :)

Hannah

• Monday - Thursday - Daycare center (7am-5pm)

Friday - I am off work.

I am hoping to ask for part-time hours (maybe Monday-Wednesday schedule) when we have #2.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm a SAHM/student.  MIL watches her if DH is working. 

If anyone uses a nanny service, I would love to hear how they are.  My cousin is moving to town and looking for a nanny job.  She'll be a junior at UC and is studying to become a speech therapist.  Any recos of good companies for her?

• K goes to a daycare center M-Th.  I've been off on Fridays since I returned from maternity leave, but I start back to work full time next week and she will go to daycare on fridays too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Three days a week they go to an in home sitter that Hudson has gone to since he was 4 months old-we love her! It is just my children and her 2 boys that right at his age so they have grown up together. One day a week they are with my dad, and the other DH is home with them...wish it was me! Starting in the fall Hudson will be attending all day Pre school three times a week, and Georgia will hopefully be with the same sitter.
  • I work part time and DH is a paramedic, so he works 24 on and 48 off.  It usually works out that most days that I have to work DH is usually off.  If we both happen to have to work, then either my Mom or my MIL will watch them.  It's never more than 4-5 days a month, some days it's only once that we need someone to watch them.
  • Daycare center M-F 7-5
  • imagehannah&ben:

Also, I guess it's kind of relevant, DH works from home full time when not traveling so, if I need to do something that requires childcare, he does it.  If he's traveling and I need to do stuff without the kids one of the IL's helps out - they're semi-retired with super flexible schedules.

It's totally relevant. I always wonder what solutions SAHM/D's use when they need back-up (for an hour or for a full day).

• Day care center M-F 7:30-5

imageimage

imageimage

image  image

• imagemrs.dilligaf:

If anyone uses a nanny service, I would love to hear how they are.  My cousin is moving to town and looking for a nanny job.  She'll be a junior at UC and is studying to become a speech therapist.  Any recos of good companies for her?

We don't use a formal nanny service, since the woman who cares for the boys on Tues/Wed is the same person that we used to use when she ran an in-home daycare out of her home. She (employed by the YMCA) now runs a before school/after school program at one of the local elementary schools, so it just works out that she can care for our children (in our home) between her shifts at the elementary school. Anyway, that's way more than what you asked for; but I just didn't want you to think we used a service and I was ignoring your question. Wink

• Mon & Tues- Daycare center from 7-5

Wedn & Thurs- My mom watches DD at her house. She picks her up at 6:30 and I get to her house around 5:15-5:30.

Friday- I'm off so we get to have a Mommy and Me day at the house or out and about with some friends.

• imageschwenjl:
    Starting in the fall Hudson will be attending all day Pre school three times a week.

Yes! I should have added that J will start (2x(1/2day)/week) preschool, in the fall, as well.

• Currently M-F 7-4:30 daycare 

Come June I am off for the summer and not returning to my current position so I will be a SAHM until I find a job/new career. 

• DD goes to daycare at a center M-F 9-5 unless my SIL is home.  She comes into town during the week once or twice a month.  
  • M/T/H/F (during the school year): Logan goes in an in home DCP.  He's been going there since he was 12 weeks old.

Wednesdays I'm off, so he's home with me.  During the summer his daddy watches him.  He'll start going to preschool 2 half days a week this fall (provided he ever gets potty trained).

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I don't have my LO yet but this is what we will be doing

M, Th, F: day care

T, W: my mom will be watching him/her

• SAHM and Part-time school.  Currently only enrolling in night and online classes but when I have taken regular classes DH usually stays with them on the days he isn't working or hours and granny on the days he is working.  Unfortunately it isn't a long term solution due to my MIL's health issues and the fact that she really doesn't try with the allergy issues.  
    DH - 42 Me - 36 DS1 -15 DS2 - 3 DD - 1
  • SAHM and when I have an appointment or something my mom watches him, either at our house or hers. 
  • kmn3kmn3 member

We don't have child care yet, but I can share our plans Smile

DH will provide Tuesdays & Wednesdays.

We're hoping to find a part-time center or in-home provider for Monday, Thursday and Friday.  Am I dreaming?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekmn3:

We're hoping to find a part-time center or in-home provider for Monday, Thursday and Friday.  Am I dreaming?

No, those options exist. That said, P/T rates can be $$ if you go the center route. In our experience, it's easier to find P/T care via in-home providers; but I'm not trying to steer you one way or the other. Just some info from a "veteran." Smile

• imageTtimes3:
    imagemrs.dilligaf:

We don't use a formal nanny service, since the woman who cares for the boys on Tues/Wed is the same person that we used to use when she ran an in-home daycare out of her home. She (employed by the YMCA) now runs a before school/after school program at one of the local elementary schools, so it just works out that she can care for our children (in our home) between her shifts at the elementary school. Anyway, that's way more than what you asked for; but I just didn't want you to think we used a service and I was ignoring your question. Wink

No worries!  I'm just hoping she can find a good company to work for.  She had a great situation in her hometown as a nanny, and I'm hoping she can find the same here.  Thanks for replying though!

• Our LO isn't here yet, but I am hoping my sister will be able to watch him/her at her house m-f from 9:30 - 5ish. If not, I will take the LO to my moms until at least a year then look in to a center that is closer to home.

My sister just had her baby March 1st and works retail part time while my mom keeps her little boy. I'm trying to talk her in to quitting her job and staying home with her baby and keeping mine. I know she would do it in a heart beat, I just need to get my BIL on board!

6/28/10: Lost our sweet baby Addyston at 18wk 1day to pPROM 7/24/11: Michael William born at 24wk 2d due to IC after an emergent cerclage at 18wks, 4wk home BR and 2 weeks hospital BR. Grow strong our little Miracle! 9/17/11: Michael joined his sister in heaven after 8 amazing weeks with us on earth. He fought a very hard fight but NEC was too much for him in the end. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • SAHM--DH works long hours so he rarely is available to help out, scratch that he is never available to help out haha

Honestly I take Nicholas with me everywhere- appointments, etc. In the rare times I need a sitter its usually just for a couple of hours and I have my MIL, my dad or a SIL watch him. We are really lucky to have family close by who are available to help out. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I work M-F and some saturdays. DH work schedule varies every week but is usually off 2 days during the week so he stays at home with DD. The other days she goes to my mom's house. She owns her own business and has a pretty flexible schedule. When she has to work we use other family.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • I SAH.

On Tuesdays, I pick up my BFF's son from after school activity and take him to latch key. They are not allowed to walk from school to the latch key location, which is fine with me bc I get some $$.

We use our parents for babysitting probably 1 or 2 times a month for dates/outings. MIL works only part time and was not employed for a while too so she was available when I needed to do like a gyno appt or something that I absolutely cannot take DD with me.

DH can work from home on occasion. I am hoping it becomes more frequent. I hate his commute (50 miles each way).

• imagebuckeyethor:

I hate his commute (50 miles each way).

I just threw up in my mouth.

• I am a SAHM.  I don't really have backup, either.  I'm in a huge bind if I ever need childcare for something I need to do and I can't take the boys.  Right now Justin goes to preschool 3 days a week and it saves my sanity, but if he keeps up his shenanigans, he's going to be on thin ice there. 
    Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • SAHM

I'm also in a babysitting co-op with some neighbors/friends.  We have fancy laminated coupons we trade back and forth.  None of us use it very often, but it's great to know it's available.

• I SAH, and do some freelance writing. DH has a weird schedule and Ellie has been attending Parent's Day Out one day a week during this school year. So if I need to go to an interview or something, I usually do it when DH is home or she's at PDO. Or else my mom watches her.

I just ran into my first situation last week where I needed to be somewhere while DH was at work and neither of my parents or my sister were available. My cousin's wife was able to watch her for me, thankfully. 

Photo by Melissa Nicole Photography

imageimage
  • While I'm figuring out what I want to do in the near future with work and childcare, my Mom is watching our girls two days a week when I go into the office. DH's Mom will probably help out this summer when she's not working.
  • Daycare Center  - M-F 8:30-5:30 (and I visit/nurse at lunch).  I don't know if I would like dd to be anywhere else because she is so close to me right now - however the price kills me sometimes.
  • my DH is a SAHD during the day and then I watch LO after 6pm when I get off work (and he goes into work).
    Katie, PCOS since May 2005, Fostering since November 2010 Adoption since December 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    *PCOS bio* *Cold Hands, Warm Heart*
  • We have a combination as well. Luke started daycare on Tuesdays and Thursdays in January when he was about 5 months old. He is with me the rest of the week. Daycare follows the school system so he'll be home with me starting in June. Next year, he will be doing daycare MWF and home with me TR. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageskyllingstadl:

SAHM--DH works long hours so he rarely is available to help out, scratch that he is never available to help out haha

Honestly I take Nicholas with me everywhere- appointments, etc. In the rare times I need a sitter its usually just for a couple of hours and I have my MIL, my dad or a SIL watch him. We are really lucky to have family close by who are available to help out. 

ALL OF THIS!!

I had planned to go back to work two days a week but it just did not happen.

except my mom watches him if I need help!

I will say that Kevin does take him when he gets home for a bit so that I can take a break & the middle of the night if I'm just too worn out! 

• I SAH and my DH works from home so he is sometimes available if I need to go somewhere without Fin. My MIL and mom each have two days off a week too, so they can help out if need be.
    Welcome to the world Finley Michael - born 2/13/2010 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers pregnancy
    Baby Sister is coming soon!
  • imageskyllingstadl:

Honestly I take Nicholas with me everywhere- appointments, etc.

This is me, too.  Now that DD is in preschool I do schedule a lot of things while she's there, but DS especially goes everywhere with me.  If someone doesn't like it, they don't need my money.

• DD #1 goes to an in-home sitter who watches teachers' children from my school district. She is 5 min. away from the school where I teach, so it's a great situation for us. DD #2 will also go there beginning in August. Both DD's will obviously be home with me all summer. We love our sitter; she is wonderful!
    imageimage
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"