Potty Training
Options

So Confused!

So the PT books I've read all say that PTing should be very low stress for the child...if they have an accident, reinforce that it is no big deal, there should be nothing negative about PTing.

So many people on here have had success with just getting rid of the diapers cold-turkey and I wanted to try that too (since DS has gone on the potty MANY times and is older than most kids being PT'd...3.5).

However, when I try to put him in underwear, he throws a big fit and cries and says he wants to wear a diaper (he had a couple of accidents in u/w and even though I was so nice about it, I think he is afraid of it happening again).  If I force him to wear underwear, isn't that being really negative?  

I've tried Pull-ups and he just treats them like a diaper, so I've gone back to diapers again.  

I'm so frustrated and don't know what to do at this point.  He's the type of child that just gets really caught up in playing, etc. and I'm not even sure if he realizes yet that he has to go before he does (even though at this age he really should).  

Anyone have similar issues/ have any advice?  Thanks!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: So Confused!

• Options

Hey there.  What about training pants that are not quite as thick or absorbent as diapers, but they are thicker than underwear?   Potty Scottys are a good one and affordable, and then they also sell training underwear at Target. 

Mommy to
    Tyler (10/29/08)
    and Lily (4/21/13)

• Options
    akayfakayf member

DS is just starting to realize when he has to go.   We did the cold turkey thing starting on Monday.    I have been running him to the bathroom on  a schedule(every 30 minutes...but we are not stretching it out a little longer)   I tell him it's time to go and we run for the bathroom.    He has started telling me sometimes he has to go.   Maybe starting him on a schedule will help out your little guy. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    He's almost 4.  That whole "low stress" thing is for the 2 year olds.  He's plenty old enough to understand.  I'd ditch the diapers and let him throw a fit until he realizes it's easier to use the potty.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"