Minnesota Babies

Would you recommend Gold's Gym? Thinking of joining...

I am thinking of switching my gym membership to Gold's since there's one by work, one by home. Anyone have good/bad experiences that would have you recommend them or not?

Thanks!

Re: Would you recommend Gold's Gym? Thinking of joining...

• Have you had a tour of the gym?  If not, that should help you significantly.  Everyone's needs & expectations are different, so something that is important in a gym for one person may not be so, for another.

Being that there is one near your home & work is definitely a good thing because for me at least, it has to be convenient or I won't go.  

Are classes something that you're interested in or are important to you?  Quality of equipment, type of equipment, locker rooms etc... any how a visit to their facility would be helpful.  Plus I don't know anyone who's ever had a "bad" experience at any gym, really...

Mommy to
    Tyler (10/29/08)
    and Lily (4/21/13)

• Go on a tour of the gym and see for yourself.  Gold's isn't the "Gold's of old" in that it's now more cardio focused which really isn't going to produce results for 90% of the population.  They also try to oversell training and add-ons.  When I checked them out when I was switching gyms (WBY location), they tried the over-pressure sales tactics which turned me off instantly followed by weight-room equipment that they tried to claim was the "latest and greatest" but was really more for looks than could actually get the job done. 

I'd check around with some of the local and private gyms.  Many have 24-hour facilities which is nice.  Check the Y - some are better than others.  Most of all, you have to ask yourself, why are YOU going to the gym?  "toning up for the summer" isn't a good answer.  Do they have trainers who know what they're doing?  Do the trainers LOOK fit or is the trainer getting winded keeping up with your workout?  Is the atmosphere condusive to producing results FOR ME(you)?  Not all gym atmospheres are created equal.  Also, if this is your first gym membership, PLEASE, ask about gym etiquette when you go through the tours!  So many people start at the gym but don't realize you're coming into a community of people, know some of the social things (change your shoes when you get there - you'll appreciate this in winter or when it's raining - it's a safety issue for many of us...  wipe off the cardio when you're done..  bring a lock for the locker...nekidness - at least put a towel on the bench..no kiddos in the adult locker rooms..)

I'm a gym rat and nat'l champion in a strength sport so don't do any of the classes and my trainer trained her way out of a job (the mark of a GOOD trainer!!!) years ago..  Don't be intimidated by the weight room.  If my 6yo can do "Arnold's" and lat pulls with a 10lb. you can lift the heavier stuff.  You won't get "bulky muscles" from lifting heavy weights.  If that was the case, I'd have a six pack and be able to pose, and my ab is a far cry from showing.  If you saw what my bodybuilding/fitness friends go through to look like the picture on a magazine it's one of the most unhealthy things you can do to a body and takes insane amounts of work to pull off to look that way for a week (yes, that's all the longer they look like that)..  The "scary looking dudes" are just teddybears once you get to know them and will be your best source of advice and training tips when you hit plateaus. 

Depending on which part of the cities, check out The Press (Little Canada), Gym 365 (Elk River), Riverfront Athletic Club (Hudson), Elite Barbell (Montgomery), Anytime Fitness (Cottage Grove), Hudson Y....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"