2nd Trimester

Bright spot on bowel?

We had to go to L&D yesterday because they thought my bag broke. Everything is ok with that, but while we were there they did a full ultrasound, like the anatomy scan that we were scheduled to have on Friday. During it they found a bright spot on the baby's bowel. That's all I was really told because the on call doctor didn't come in she just spoke with me over the phone and didn't even see the ultrasound. Now I have to go for a Level 2 and what I found online about this condition is not good (think Downs, Trisomy 21, Cystic Fibrosis and death). I know I see posts on here all the time about holes in the heart and cysts on the brain, but has anyone ever been diagnosed with this and had it be fine? 

On a side note, we had the NT scan and out results were very good with neck fat of 1.2 and "normal" blood work.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bright spot on bowel?

• dlast09dlast09 member
    I am sorry I have no advice or experience. But I hope everything is okay with your LO. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    My little CHD warrior. Born 9/29/11. Got his new heart 10/20/11

BLOG :] & Shaping Up Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Ella&CElla&C member
    How scary for you! I am sorry. Our u/s showed a bright spot on the heart, but paired with blood work, we only have a 1:5,000 chance of this baby having Downs. I try not to worry too much, but it is hard not knowing if your baby is that "1"   Good luck to you all.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would suggest stop looking stuff up online and wait for your Dr. to figure things out! The internet is very scary and you can find anything and everything whether its true or not.  Take a deep breath and calm down! I hope everything turns out fine! And it sounds like it will with the normal NT scan AND blood results.

• I had a spot on the heart with my last baby (came out normal and healthy) and bright intestines this time (not TOO bright they said, but still something they flag). The doctor came in and told me that if this is the only marker for downs and everything else looks normal (nuchal tests, other things from the anatomy scan) that they don't really worry about it. Good luck!
  • With my DS, the ultrasound tech saw a bright spot on his bowel during the 20 week anatomy scan.  I think she called it an echogenic bowel.  They referred us to a perinatologist. The perinatologist did a very thorough ultrasound on a 4D machine and said that she was not concerned at all.  DS is now a very happy 18 month old and we've never had any problems.  Good luck, I hope yours turns out to be nothing too!

• quezzoquezzo member
    imageelliesinclair:

With my DS, the ultrasound tech saw a bright spot on his bowel during the 20 week anatomy scan.  I think she called it an echogenic bowel.  They referred us to a perinatologist. The perinatologist did a very thorough ultrasound on a 4D machine and said that she was not concerned at all.  DS is now a very happy 18 month old and we've never had any problems.  Good luck, I hope yours turns out to be nothing too!

Thank you for sharing this! I'm so happy to hear this I could cry. All our other tests have been fine so I was really not expecting this, and had no clue hoe to react. They've scheduled me for a 3D ultrasound next Wednesday so I am hoping everything will look ok at that.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"