School-Aged Children
Options

Would you let me teach your child?

I'm currently going to school to be a teacher.

I have been diagnosed with a psychotic disorder. I am nonviolent and extremely med compliant. Despite this I have had occurrences of psychosis while medicated. The psychosis never interferes with my patience though it has interfered with my day to day living skills and has caused me to be hospitalized multiple times.

I am afraid I'm wasting my time getting a teaching degree because I won't be considered a suitable teacher.

I welcome any thoughts.

Re: Would you let me teach your child?

• Options

Hi, lurking from TTGP

- what kind of life skills are impaired?

- I'd be concerned that the issue wouldn't be whether parents are okay with you teaching, but if you could even be hired if your employer was aware of this.

I'd need more information.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Options

If you can teach then your personal life is none of my business. 

I don't know how mental illness and discrimination in the workplace works.  You would have to check with your state. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

As a teacher, my concern would be how would the times when the medication is not in control effect you? Meaning, would my child be safe, even when you are having a "bad" day? Teacher requires an elaborate amount of patience.

Having said that, you illness is not something I would consider unless it would effect the children.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have bi-polar disorder, and I am a teacher. My employers when they know have been wonderful, and I am going on to get more certifications.

Hope this helps.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"