Tennessee Babies

TN car seat laws

Ok I don't know if it is my pregnancy brain not thinking clearly or what, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the law of changing from a 5 point harness to a booster with a back and seat belt positioner. My son is 3yrs 7m, he weighs 41.5 lbs, and is 41.5 inches (I know absolutely hilarious), so he exceeds the weight and height minimum which is 40lbs/40", but do I have to wait until he is 4 to move him from a 5 point harness to a belt positioner? The law wasn't clear if the age was just an example of when most kids reach the minimums or if it was part of the restriction.
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image image image image image image

Re: TN car seat laws

• If the 5 point harness fits him still, I would just keep him in that as long as possible.  
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I ask partly because my parents need to buy another car seat for their car as we didn't realize he is above the weight limit for it, the weight limit is 35lbs. But they didn't want to buy a 5 point harness if he would be out of it in just a few months. So we are trying to find out if he can sit in a booster seat belt positioner now or not until September.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image image image image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • I looked up the law here https://www.tn.gov/safety/newCRD.htm and this is what I understand.  Since he is under 4 (and thus still in the 1-3yr group) he must be in a carseat and not a booster.  After 4 they can be in a booster.  It sucks that you have to purchase one for a few months only, but it is best to be safe!!  Maybe someone you know has one that you may be able to borrow for the couple of months.  Or maybe there is one you can pick up at a consignment place....if you are comfortable with that.
  • You could also go with something like this https://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Products/Travel/Car-Seats/Convertible-Car-Seats/Details/2768-CC054TTN-All-in-One-Convertible-Car-Seat

It converts to a booster seat once you are done with it being a carseat...at least  you will get more than a few months out of it.

Safety 1st allows you to put height and weight as search parameters to find the seat that will work for you.

• I realize this is an older post, but I thought I'd post in case someone else read it. AS a carseat tech, it's not safe for him to be in his seat above the weight and height limit, nor is it safe IMO for him to be in a booster before 4. I actually recommend kids don't move to boosters till closer to 6. My own 6yo is still harnessed, as is my 4yo. There are great seats out there like the Evenflo Maestro that harnesses to 50# and the Graco Nautilus that harnesses to 65# and then turns into a high backed booster and backless booster. That's what my 6yo is using and it'll last him another year at least w/ the harenss.

Jennifer, wife, CPST, birth Doula, LPN to BSN student, and 3x VBAC mama to AJ (8, Evan (7), Ilana (5),Olivia (2), and 8/24/12!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"