Natural Birth
Options

Castor Oil

Does it work best if you've already been having contractions prior to taking the castor oil? For some reason it doesn't seem to me like castor oil would start labor cold, like it more just pushes you over the edge if you're close, but maybe it could.

I've had very occasional period like cramping, which I have no idea if that's my pelvis being tired or if they could be sporadic contractions.

I am not looking to take castor oil for a few weeks, just curious.
Mama to sunshine baby "J" 5.13.11 and angel baby "E" born still on 2.11.14
TTC our rainbow since April '14

Re: Castor Oil

• Options
    I think that's the case with any intervention, administered by medical professionals or not.
  • Options
    Well, I'll tell ya my story.  My water broke...no contractions after 24 hours.  I was desperate for labor to start.  I tried castor oil...I thought I was going to vomit.  Actually, I think I might vomit just thinking about it.  *UGH*  Anyway, it did NOTHING accept give me some serious diarrhea.  I wouldn't recommend it unless it is your LAST option.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also wouldn't recommend castor oil.  When I had my son, a nurse wanted me to drink it to speed things up, so I did.  It gave me the worst diarrhea ever.  And honestly, I don't really feel that it sped things up at all.  I was already having contractions, but things were just progressing slowly.  After drinking that stuff, I couldn't stay off the toilet.  And when you are having contractions, the last thing you want to worry about is running to toilet!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"