Houston Babies
Options

Pump recommendations for working mom?

Helen is in her 5th week now, so I need to start thinking about pumping and introducing a bottle. Throughout my entire pregnancy, I enjoyed researching the crap out of EVERYTHING and making educated decisions. I never felt overwhelmed by all the "stuff" and really jumped right into reading and learning, etc.

This pumping business however, is totally overwhelming, and I've been procrastinating and avoiding the whole subject. It just seems so technical! 

So, any recommendations for a good pump? I've heard hospital grade pumps are best, but it seems like renting one could get really expensive. I have plenty of leftover GC's for BRU, so the cost of buying one isn't really any issue.

Any advice, recommendations for resources, etc for working and pumping Moms?

Anyone care to share their feeding/pumping schedule? Helen is 1 month, but I still don't feel like we have a schedule yet. She sleeps and eats and we just go with it....  :) 

TIA!!! 

DD born March 2011
DS born Dec 10, 2013

Re: Pump recommendations for working mom?

• Options

You're both right on track...sleeping, eating and rolling with it. ;)

I really love this site, she has weekly videocasts and covers all sorts of topics.  She's a BFing expert and while I've nursed two kids I still have questions from time to time.  She has pump and product suggestions and no, she doesn't get kick backs from the manufacturers she recommends.  She has I think 4 kids and has helped thousands of women pump/nurse so she gets a lot of feedback on what's the best.  

I have a Medela PIS and while I think it's good I do wonder if the Ameda she recommends would be better for me. Hope this helps!   

• Options

I have the Medela PIS and do wonder about the Ameda as well.  My PISA has got me through 9 months, but my cord to plug into the pump and wall stopped working.  At work I am able to use their hospital grade pump.  At 2 months I started building up my supply for work.  I pumped after the 1st 3 feeds of the morning.  Once she went to sleeping 5-6 hours a night, I would pump an hour after her last night feed, which was 9 or so and then pump, so I was somewhat empty. I just currently weaned off of the night time pumping ( 9.5 months later)  It took a week for me to see an increase in my supply.  Once I had my supply for work, a week before work I weaned myself off of pumping the 3 morning feeds.  No way was I going to wake up and still pump and go to work.  Once I started working, I would nurse her in the am before work, go to work, pump three times while at work, come home bath her, and nurse her before bed. I also pumped before I went to bed, that way I had some fresh milk to play with. Like I would send a few bags of frozen milk always shorting on the amount, but would send fresh milk and would have extra, that way my frozen would be completely used and none would go to waste. This has worked for us.  I introduced a bottle at 2 months, I had to leave the room and my husband had to prepare it and everything, she took it and we practice a few times a week.  I pumped when she was getting the bottle in another room.  Now she takes a bottle most times, not consitantly though.  The only time she gets a bottle is if I am at work, I nurse all other times.  I think this has helped keep my supply going.  I did see a decrease in my supply with the pumping at about 5 months, but we have not had to dip into our freezer stash. 

Kellymom.com has a lot of good info and so does the breastfeeding board.  Just stay away from the low supply posts, those scared me at first.

Good Luck

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used the Medela PISA and it was great.  I went back to work when Cooper was 9 weeks old and pumped until he was a year and really had no problems at all.   Don't let pumping intimidate you, you'll be fine!
    My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • Options

I used the Medela PISA as well. I started using it pretty early though due to engorgement pain and wanting others to feed DD. We introduced a bottle I think at 3 or 4 weeks. I loved my PISA as much as I could love a pump. I hated pumping but mostly because it was boring and with my job, I had to go sit in teh car to pump. Not fun in July and August. I went back to work when she was 13 weeks old but didn't put her in daycare until she was 15 weeks old. That pump was my bestie while she was in daycare. When I decided to SAHM, I still used it so I could leave her with DH or the ILs since we didn't introduce formula until she was 8+ months old. Wish I hadn't feared formula so much as it was much easier to give her formula when I was away from her than lug my pump everywhere.

I digress as usual, loved my PISA. You are more than welcome to borrow it (using your own parts of course) to see if you like it before purchasing. 

• Options

I got the Medela PISA.

I just finished my BF class and asked about pumping while keeping up with BFing.  My situation is a little different b/c I won't be going back to work, but I want to have a good supply in the freezer so DH, sitter, etc. can feed her when I can't.

The LC said at one month, to just start pumping after you feed, you won't get much at first but it will build your supply and eventually you will get a lot more milk. For going back to work, there is TONS of info out there of when/how do schedule your pumping sessions. I'm sure you'll get great advice here too!

• Options

You can have my PISA if you want.  I have all the parts, even a brand new never been opened replacement kit.

I was planning on selling it, but I'm up to my eyeballs in all kinds of work so don't have time.

Email me.

• Options

pump in style by medela

symphony by medela if you rent a hospital grade

18 Months!! imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had the Medela PISA and liked it a lot.  I would recommend getting a second set of tubes and horns, as it's easier to switch out at work, and you don't feel like you are constantly washing.  Some advice for the horns - make sure you have the correct size.  You can order smaller or larger ones than what the set comes with.  It will be much more comfortable if you have the correct sizes.  You should be able to find a picture of how to choose somewhere online - maybe the Medela site?  You don't want your sides (of your nipples - sorry - I had to say it) to be quite touching, but you don't want them to be too far away in the center, either.
  • Options

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling a little less panicky now! :)

Kelley - do you have a link to the site you mentioned? It sounds great! 

imageKelleyA:

You're both right on track...sleeping, eating and rolling with it. ;)

I really love this site, she has weekly videocasts and covers all sorts of topics.  She's a BFing expert and while I've nursed two kids I still have questions from time to time.  She has pump and product suggestions and no, she doesn't get kick backs from the manufacturers she recommends.  She has I think 4 kids and has helped thousands of women pump/nurse so she gets a lot of feedback on what's the best.  

I have a Medela PIS and while I think it's good I do wonder if the Ameda she recommends would be better for me. Hope this helps!   

DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
  • Options
    I used the Medela Freestyle and loved it! I pumped heavily for over a year.
  • Options
    PISA at work + hospital grade rental at home. Not lugging the thing back and forth was a holiday. The hospital grade was a kick-ass pump.
  • Options

Here's the link since it didn't seem to post last time. 

https://www.sharicriso.com/index.php

• Options
    highly recommend setting up a meeting with Sandie at A Woman's Work and doing a consult with her; she'll really help you get a good schedule going and most importantly, help you feel that you can do.  And renting a hospital grade pump can be pricey, but new pumps are super spendy as well, so you'd probably break even
  • Options

You have probably already decided on something, but I love my Medela Freestyle. No matter which pump you get, be sure to get the Simple Wishes hands free pumping bustier: https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Wishes-Hands-Free-Breastpump-XS/dp/B00295MQLU

Seriously. It makes pumping so much less of a PITA. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I ended up getting the Ameda Purely Yours Ultra and so far I really like it. (as much as you can like a pump, I guess) :) It is really easy to clean and seems to pump just fine!
    DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"