Working Moms

Teachers - Maternity Leave question

Teachers, if you maternity leave included a normal school vacation in it (like spring break or winter break, but others could count too), did your schools count that week as a week of leave or skip the week in the counting?

I ask because with my last baby I assumed spring break didn't count, and mentioned this every time we talked about my leave. We didn't get a chance to draw up a leave contract though to put it in writing because I went into labor 4 weeks early (So I guess even if there was a contract the return date would need adjusting). Anyway, while I was out on leave they decided that spring break did count as leave. I argued and they ended up giving me a percentage of spring break as normal vacation and the other part as maternity leave, so I was back a few days earlier than I had anticipated.

Anyway, the reason I ask is that winter break will be in my leave this time, and I can only afford 6 weeks so I want to maximize my time. Anyone else have experience with this? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Teachers - Maternity Leave question

• I think all districts work differently but Christmas break was included in my six weeks. I was bummed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was on maternity leave over Christmas break. They counted it toward my 12-week max, but I didn't have to use any vacation or sick time to get paid.
  • Loading the player...
  • it's all about being disabled, so it does count. you can always begin your leave a week or two early...
  • I went into labor 4 weeks early and they counted winter break in my leave :-(
  • I'm not a teacher but when I went on my leave it was specifically written that any company time off that occurred while I was out would run concurrent with my leave, meaning I didn't get more time off because of it.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I am the payroll and benefits manager for a school and we do count breaks towards leave.  I always hate having to be the one to explain that to teachers.  They get really upset about it.  =(
  • kj07kj07 member
    It's not just teachers - it's in the FMLA provisions somewhere.  I work for a gov't and the days when my agency was closed for regularly scheduled holidays counted against my total FMLA period.  I didn't have to use sick or vacation time for those days, but I didn't get extra days either.
    photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • kj07kj07 member
    I do know one teacher who scheduled a c-section about 10 days before her due date so that her 6 weeks would expire the day that her school closed for winter break (and her principal knew that this was her plan).  That way she was able to maximize her time home with her little one.  Not everyone is comfortable delivering a baby early like that, though.
    photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • lelekaylelekay member
    Yes, I believe that breaks are typically included in your maternity leave, meaning they do count as part of your 12-weeks or whatever you're taking.  However, in my district (every district is different about how you get paid/if you do on mat leave), I didn't have to take "sick" days to get paid for that time.  DS was born in July and I took 12-weeks off from that date, which was actually 9 weeks off of school (I came back in the end of October).  I did get paid that whole time because I had enough sick days to cover my 9 weeks off.  Any time beyond that would have been unpaid.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Of course breaks could as leave time.  You would still normally get a regular paycheck after Christmas/spring break, right? 
  • Hmm...in my district, breaks and holidays do not count towards FMLA.  so- because my baby is due at the end of the school year- my FMLA won't start until my next year contract starts in August.  This means that I will go back when the baby is about 4.5 months old.  With this said- I am not going to be able to use disability because I am not losing income for those first 6-8 since I am paid over the summer.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My system only allows 6 weeks of paid leave, regardless of how much sick time you have saved up.  (maternity comes out of sick time)  My 6 weeks fell over xmas, so I got a total of 6 weeks off, 5 weeks of disability pay, but only had to use 4 weeks of sick time.  I wanted to add the last two weeks I had saved onto the end of my leave and take 8 weeks, but that would go into unpaid FMLA...and I needed money.  It was confusing, but wound up ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"