Natural Birth

Bradley Method Failure?

We finished up our classes about a month ago and since then I've really been slacking on doing my exercises and relaxation.  Am I dooming myself to failure here?  I'm really going to make a concerted effort going forward these next few weeks.  I guess I'm just looking for some encouragement that going med free is still possible!  And I'm kicking myself while I'm at it.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bradley Method Failure?

• +1. I'm in the exact same boat. I hope to hear some encouraging words of wisdom for both of us!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't take the classes, I read over the book, I marked pages for DH but I don't think he ever read them. Just be positive, know your body can handle this and is made to do this! Relax and just work with the waves of contractions, listen to your body, rest if it tells you to rest, walk if it tells you to walk etc etc. I had a wonderfully amazing experience with labor and birth totally med-free.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you put in all the time & energy to attend all 12 Bradley classes then you will most definitely have a Bradley birth experience! We did the classes, I went through a totally med-free 18 hour labor, but my baby never dropped and I ended up with a C-section. I told my husband right after that ordeal that I could have labored forever. I think Bradley really taught me to trust my body, and I never doubted myself. All of the 6 other couples in our class did end up with a med-free birth. You can do it!
  • imagewhenyouseesparks:
    Uhh yah I barely did anything outside of class. I did kegels, I walked a lot, and I did a lot of tailor sitting, but that was about it. You'll be just fine.

This was me, too.  I also milked the Bradley method a little and required frequent back massages from DH.  I highly suggest moving and walking a lot while in labor.  That helped me a ton.  Best wishes!

• Thanks girls!  I really appreciate the encouragement.  It's good to know I'm not dooming myself!
  • I didn't do much either, just a few Kegels. Granted I had a fast labor and small baby but I had no problem getting through it. It was great to know what was normal and some helpful hints like to lie on my side during monitoring but overall I found labor to be very instinctual.
  • Don't slack off!  I did all of the exercies religiously outside of class & I really think it helped bring the baby down.  I went into labor the day of our last Bradley class & I was able to stay sane by remembering the abdominal breathing & diff positions to try during labor.  I regret not focusing on the relaxation methods more - the pain was so intense I was all about finding ways to relieve it, but I think the visualization, etc. would've helped get me through transition without looking so much like a psych ward patient. LOL

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • abell77abell77 member

Don't think that way.  The exercises are very important, yes, but so is your mental preparation and stamina.  If you start thinking now that you are dooming yourself, that could be just as detrimental (if not more) than slacking on your exercises.  You can do it.  Just get back into the groove and stick with it.  I too am behind where I would like to be in my preparations, but I just keep telling myself that I can do it and that every day is a new day and a chance to start again in helping my body prepare.  DH and I took classes last time, but this time around I am refreshing myself with reading material and, of course, the exercises that I am behind on! 

You won't fail.  You can and will do this.  Good Luck and Congratulations!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • abell77abell77 member

oh, and I just wanted to add one more thought as an added incentive or motivation tool...

the exercises are important in getting through labor and delivery, yes.  but they also play a key role in your recovery.  In general I do not work out regularly other than walking.  So while I was in general good health overall, I was not necessarily in shape.  To prepare for my last birth I just did all of the recommended Bradley exercises.  I had literally no muscle soreness after giving birth.  Yes, the nether regions were sore, but even in that regard my recovery was not that bad compared to stories I had heard.  I always heard women say they felt like they were run over by a truck after giving birth in terms of the bodily aches and pains, and I honestly did not have any of that.  I have to attribute that to the bradley exercises.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Another one for just reading the book, and DH never really looked at it and most definitely didn't use any of it with me during labor.  It worked out just fine, though.  I knew what my body was doing and was able to just go inward and relax.  You can still do it!!
  • Not doing Bradley, but wanted to offer my encouragement. If you think you can do it, you can do it!! Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"