VBAC

Any "1st LO got stuck" VBACs?

I was induced at 37 weeks and ended up in labor for 30 hours and pushing for 3 hours but my 6lb 4oz DS got stuck right before crowning, failed vaccum and all so I had to have an emergency c-section. I was never really received an answer as to why he was not able to come out though.

Has anyone here had a similar experience and is going for an ok'ed VBAC? Obviously each situtation is different and it will be awhile before TTC again but I am just curious.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Any "1st LO got stuck" VBACs?

• Yes. I pushed for 4+ hours with my first, until it was determined by ultrasound that he was posterior (his head was facing towards my belly button instead of my spine). He was 8 lb 4 oz and a c-section. I had a successful VBAC with my second son in October - he was 10 lb 10 oz, and lined up correctly. I still pushed for two hours, but that's still within the range of normal for a first-time vaginal birth.

Can you ask to talk to your provider about the specifics of your c-section? Also, it's a good idea to ask for all your medical records, including the operative notes, bc another provider can read them (and you can always read them yourself). hth and take care!

ETA: "Face" instead of "head"!!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imagenosoup4u:

Yes. I pushed for 4+ hours with my first, until it was determined by ultrasound that he was posterior (his head was facing towards my belly button instead of my spine). He was 8 lb 4 oz and a c-section. I had a successful VBAC with my second son in October - he was 10 lb 10 oz, and lined up correctly. I still pushed for two hours, but that's still within the range of normal for a first-time vaginal birth.

Can you ask to talk to your provider about the specifics of your c-section? Also, it's a good idea to ask for all your medical records, including the operative notes, bc another provider can read them (and you can always read them yourself). hth and take care!

I will have to ask for my file since it wasn't my OB who went through this with me. It was some random OB I had never met because my OB was at home with her children and her DH was out town. Looking at it might even help me piece things together. Thanks for pointing that out to me!

• Loading the player...
  • Was there a medical reason for your early induction that might have also caused some complications to the delivery?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • imageMAprincess:
    Was there a medical reason for your early induction that might have also caused some complications to the delivery?

Preeclampsia is what I was induced for and the there were no complications from the induction. I was, however, only 1cm 50% effaced so I obviously was not ready to be put into labor.

• nosoup4u,

Did your VBAC go smoothly or was it difficult? I know these might questions might be too personal. Was it an easier recovery than the c-section?

Like the original poster, I had my first c-section because my son was stuck in my pelvis. He had been posterior, but then he did manage to turn his head sideways. 

I'm supposed to let my doctor know in a couple of days if I want to attempt a VBAC or if I want to schedule a repeat c-section. 

I've been pretty sure about the repeat c-section because I feel like I will most likely fail a VBAC, but I am still reading and I do wonder a bit. I'm worried that even if I am able to birth him, that it will be traumatic and he will be rather stuck and there will be lots of tearing and fear for his safety.

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I guess you could say DD "got stuck".  Bad positioning might be a better way to describe it, though.  Her head was sideways, her ear resting on her shoulder, so she couldn't descend enough and I didn't dilate past 5 cm.

I had already surpassed the time my doctor prefers a patient to be in labor after her water breaking, so rather than risk infection, we did the c/s.

I'm hopeful to have a vbac in a couple months.

• imagenovilise:

nosoup4u,

Did your VBAC go smoothly or was it difficult? I know these might questions might be too personal. Was it an easier recovery than the c-section?

Like the original poster, I had my first c-section because my son was stuck in my pelvis. He had been posterior, but then he did manage to turn his head sideways. 

I'm supposed to let my doctor know in a couple of days if I want to attempt a VBAC or if I want to schedule a repeat c-section. 

I've been pretty sure about the repeat c-section because I feel like I will most likely fail a VBAC, but I am still reading and I do wonder a bit. I'm worried that even if I am able to birth him, that it will be traumatic and he will be rather stuck and there will be lots of tearing and fear for his safety.

I think I had a tougher recovery than most vaginal births, but I think it was mainly because he was just so big. I had a second-degree tear, and my pelvis was seriously wacked out for awhile. It was totally different than my c-section recovery, but still faster (It took a few weeks to heal from my tear, and my hips/pelvis stopped being achy at all after six weeks). And even though I was worn out/sore, I was still able to move a lot easier than after my c-section.

My first labor was hard, and pushing was horrible because I was so exhausted and I pushed for so many hours. My second labor was similar in sensations, but was much more efficient - I spent less time in active labor overall. When I was pg, I made a deal with myself that if I ended up in the same situation - pushing for more than 2ish hours with little to no progress, then I would be open to an epidural or a even a RCS, if it came down to it. I did spend a lot of time worrying that it would be the same situation all over again, though.

It really helped me to remind myself that I was experiencing a totally different pregnancy and labor, you know? I definitely don't regret having attempted a VBAC! Good luck deciding! hth

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Okay, thank you so much for sharing your story!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I had a similar situation.  DD was, I think, positioned poorly.  DS was a more difficult labor (surprisingly), but he was a successful VBAC!

Trying to clicky-link my birth story for you, first time trying, hope it works!

Birth Story 

• iris427iris427 member
    My c/s was for a stuck baby and I just had a VBAC with an even bigger baby!  VBAC went very smoothly and he came right out. :)

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Bean got stuck but we knew her position was bad before I was pushing, so I didn't really push (except involuntarily, with people screaming at me not to?). Well, it was enough pushing for her to have a bit of a conehead (but on the side of her head, due to her position) but the call to c/s had already been made. So we knew what happened right away and I was told there was no reason to think I'd been a c/s again before I was even discharged. My VBAC baby was 1 oz. heavier and half an inch shorter, but not posterior or asynclitic. World of difference!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"