Postpartum Depression

What is wrong with me?

I've never been to the Dr. for this and I don't know how bad it is or if its even considered depression.  I think my dad had it, but we didn't know until it was to late.  Theres a story behind that, and its what may have had an effect on me, but I have no one to really talk to.

Ever since DS was born I've had a fear that something bad is going to happen to him, that I'm doing something wrong, that I'm a bad mom and he's not going to be smart or grow like he should.  This might be normal.  I can't stand it when he cries. I know its spoiling him since hes 7 months old, but I can't do it, I have to pick him up and hold him and fix whatever is wrong right away.  but then theres other times that I wish DH would just feed him or hold him and not just put him in his bumbo with his toys bc I feel like he's pushing him off but DS is happy so why do i have a problem?

I'm always worried that I am a bad wife for DH.  I try so hard  to make sure dinner is ready when he gets home.  I try to make sure I get this place cleaned, but DH knows that its more fun to take care of DS and not to worry about it.  We fight all the time and I start it bc I want him to pitch in a little more, but I know he is tired from working.  I know he loves me, but day after day I am scared that he will find someone better and prettier even though I trust him.  I'm surprised he even puts up with it.

I'm also constantly worried about money.  I want the best for DS, but I don't go out and buy the most expensive car seat, we bought the cheapest car seat that still had good safety reviews.  I feel like a cheap ass.  I haven't bought a new piece of clothing in 7 months and it was 1 pair of jeans bc I was sick of sweats after having DS.  MIL bought my maternity clothes bc she thought I needed them instead of just wearing sweatpants and tshirts.  

Idk it may all seem minor, but I just want to know if its normal. 

Re: What is wrong with me?

• imagemommyAE2010:

I've never been to the Dr. for this and I don't know how bad it is or if its even considered depression.  I think my dad had it, but we didn't know until it was to late.  Theres a story behind that, and its what may have had an effect on me, but I have no one to really talk to.

Ever since DS was born I've had a fear that something bad is going to happen to him, that I'm doing something wrong, that I'm a bad mom and he's not going to be smart or grow like he should.  This might be normal.  I can't stand it when he cries. I know its spoiling him since hes 7 months old, but I can't do it, I have to pick him up and hold him and fix whatever is wrong right away.  but then theres other times that I wish DH would just feed him or hold him and not just put him in his bumbo with his toys bc I feel like he's pushing him off but DS is happy so why do i have a problem?

I'm always worried that I am a bad wife for DH.  I try so hard  to make sure dinner is ready when he gets home.  I try to make sure I get this place cleaned, but DH knows that its more fun to take care of DS and not to worry about it.  We fight all the time and I start it bc I want him to pitch in a little more, but I know he is tired from working.  I know he loves me, but day after day I am scared that he will find someone better and prettier even though I trust him.  I'm surprised he even puts up with it.

I'm also constantly worried about money.  I want the best for DS, but I don't go out and buy the most expensive car seat, we bought the cheapest car seat that still had good safety reviews.  I feel like a cheap ass.  I haven't bought a new piece of clothing in 7 months and it was 1 pair of jeans bc I was sick of sweats after having DS.  MIL bought my maternity clothes bc she thought I needed them instead of just wearing sweatpants and tshirts.  

Idk it may all seem minor, but I just want to know if its normal. 

You cannot spoil a child by holding them or loving them.

It sounds like you are really struggling. I would talk to your Dr about PPD.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree that you are not spoiling him.  Worrying is normal but you should talk to your doctor because it sounds like you could use some help!

• Loading the player...
  • I would make an appointment with your doctor to discuss possible PPD or PPA and tell them exactly what's been going on.  I had a hard time with this because I was afraid my OB would think I was a bad mom because of the things I was thinking, saying and doing, but I knew that I had to be open and honest with her about everything not only for my sake, but for the sake of my family, so that I would get the proper help.

When you go see your doctor one of two things will happen: 1) S/he will confirm that you have PPD and/or PPA and will help you find a treatment option that will get you back on track, or 2) S/he will reassure you that what you're going through is normal new-mommy stuff.  Either way it will hopefully put your mind at ease.

I hope you feel better soon.

Oh and ditto pp - You can't spoil a 7 month old by loving on them when they cry (although some people are so set on trying to convince us new mamas that you can!)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If there's something wrong with you then I have the same thing wrong with me!! I've done or thought everything you wrote in your post!

You probably should call the doctor and see what they say. I think I might too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"