Hawaii Babies
Options

Mamas with toddlers in CDs...help!

We've had Libby in sposies since late January when she had a rash and we needed to treat it with Nystatin. Every time we'd go back to CDs it'd flare up again. I have PFs and Thirsties covers and I've stripped them twice now.

I used 1/4 c. bleach and three hot water rinse cycles the second time. So I don't think it's anything in the dipes themselves causing the rash. I think it's "chub rub" now that she's walking/running I think the fluff chaffes her chubby bits (she rash is always where her inner thighs meet her pubic area below her belly button...never on her bottom).

Ideas? $20/week for sposies is not a habit I want to keep up with...for financial AND ecological reasons. I want to get back to using our stash!

Re: Mamas with toddlers in CDs...help!

• Options
    E is not a toddler yet but we've also had chafing problems on her chunky thighs. Stephanie from Abby's Lane recommended applying some petroleum jelly around the thighs and that worked for us. She said a pea-sized amount should be fine for CDs and will not cause build up. If you keep having problems, email Stephanie (abbyslane@aol.com). She's very helpful!
  • Options

I agree that it sounds like chafing....and yes, a pea sized amount of any lotion/cream won't cause problems with CDs so give it a try. 

otherwise i would suggest an extra rinse after each wash? we had no issues whatever for months and months and then all of a sudden she kept getting recurrent rashes...our pedi (and DH) and Steph at Abby's Lane thought it was thrush so we treated with antifungal creams and it went away, but it kept coming back (even after disinfecting the diapers)...eventually we tried neosporin too and that worked so i knew it wasn't fungal.  turns out any thicker cream (but not calendula cream) helps it and i tried an extra rinse and now our problems are gone.  so i guess it was just the detergent and i just do 2 extra rinses after the wash cycle instead of just 1.  it was never on her butt but it was on her skin in the front and not even all over (i had read that detergent sensitivities are usually all over where ever the diaper touches) so you just never know.

it's just trial and error sometimes w/these diaper rashes! but definitely email Steph if you can't figure it out...she is super helpful :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    MrsZizMrsZiz member

We've had off and on rash issues too. I think it's par for the course especially when little ones are on solids. We've tried EVERY cream on the market (I'm not exaggerating here! You name it, we tried it!) and two antibiotic creams and nothing really seemed to help much. We use a fleece liner in each diaper and use an extra rinse which helped some. We also air bella out 3 or more times a day... I refuse to buy sposies because I'm confident its not a diaper issue. I think B just has very sensitive skin. 

Have you tried trifolding to keep the fluff off her thighs a bit? 

• Options
    imageMrsZiz:

We've had off and on rash issues too. I think it's par for the course especially when little ones are on solids. We've tried EVERY cream on the market (I'm not exaggerating here! You name it, we tried it!) and two antibiotic creams and nothing really seemed to help much. We use a fleece liner in each diaper and use an extra rinse which helped some. We also air bella out 3 or more times a day... I refuse to buy sposies because I'm confident its not a diaper issue. I think B just has very sensitive skin. 

Have you tried trifolding to keep the fluff off her thighs a bit? 

We've tried trifolding her Premium PFs and even her Infant sized ones (for less bulk). Tell me more about your fleece liners. How do you keep them from bunching up?

We also air Libby out at least twice a day...and after her bath we let her run around naked for 15-30 minutes. We also pat her dry after each diaper change when we wipe her so she has minimal moisture on her skin. I've tried slathering her in diaper cream and it doesn't really help.

I am also considering looking at hybrid dipes...like G, Flip or GroVia...anyone here using them and like them? I'd REALLY like to use the PFs and covers we already own though!

• Options
    MrsZizMrsZiz member
    imageMarried2MrWright:

We've tried trifolding her Premium PFs and even her Infant sized ones (for less bulk). Tell me more about your fleece liners. How do you keep them from bunching up?

We also air Libby out at least twice a day...and after her bath we let her run around naked for 15-30 minutes. We also pat her dry after each diaper change when we wipe her so she has minimal moisture on her skin. I've tried slathering her in diaper cream and it doesn't really help.

I am also considering looking at hybrid dipes...like G, Flip or GroVia...anyone here using them and like them? I'd REALLY like to use the PFs and covers we already own though!

I cut fleece that I got from the remants section at JoAnn's and I've never noticed it to bunch up. I lay it right on top of the PF.

We tried coating Bella with diaper cream too and it didn't help. I actually think it made it worse because then her butt couldn't breathe at all... So far we've been using this Burt's Bee's rescue stuff (it's in a small tin and it's green), it's pricey $10 for a tiny tin but it's helped. Bella's thighs are so slim so we haven't had a rub problem, just a moisture problem with poops. When poop sits on her butt at all (I'm talking for more than 2-5 mins) she gets a rash! Her skin is sensitive to poops. We'll likely get a thigh rub problem with the little guy :) He's not so little!!

Does she not get a rash at all in the sposies? I would email Steph from Abby's lane like the ladies said. She's been SO helpful for me when I emailed her with questions and even pictures of Bella's rashy booty.  

• Options

Lori, I know plenty of mamas that love GroVia diapers! the buy 3 get 1 free sale just ended yesterday :( and there is an across the board price increase on them starting May 1 :(  not a huge difference but still.  the aplix on those diapers is different and a lot of mamas love that about them.   i think the general consensus on diaperswappers is that g-diapers are no good.

imageMrsZiz:
    Bella's thighs are so slim so we haven't had a rub problem, just a moisture problem with poops. When poop sits on her butt at all (I'm talking for more than 2-5 mins) she gets a rash! Her skin is sensitive to poops.

we have this problem too.  we've had one or two times where she'll say "poo poo" and will have just started pooping in her diaper and there is a teeny bit in her diaper before i put her on the potty and even that small bit will cause a rash! i swear it is touching her skin for like 1-2 minutes max! thankfully they clear up w/in 24 hrs but i was amazed at how quickly her skin would get irritated!

• Options
    imagemrspresley:

imageMrsZiz:
    Bella's thighs are so slim so we haven't had a rub problem, just a moisture problem with poops. When poop sits on her butt at all (I'm talking for more than 2-5 mins) she gets a rash! Her skin is sensitive to poops.

we have this problem too.  we've had one or two times where she'll say "poo poo" and will have just started pooping in her diaper and there is a teeny bit in her diaper before i put her on the potty and even that small bit will cause a rash! i swear it is touching her skin for like 1-2 minutes max! thankfully they clear up w/in 24 hrs but i was amazed at how quickly her skin would get irritated!

we have the same problem. we noticed that she gets rashes from poop. i just bought fleece fabric last weekend so we'll see if that helps.

• Options
    imageeacerna:

we have the same problem. we noticed that she gets rashes from poop. i just bought fleece fabric last weekend so we'll see if that helps.

the fleece won't help the poop problem. the poop problem is from the direct contact of the poop to the skin.  the only thing fleece helps is if they have a sensitivity to the urine....b/c the fleece allows the urine to soak through to the bottom layers and keeps the skin dry (but the synthetic fibers in BG diapers also does the same thing so you don't really need the fleece unless you are using natural fibers like cotton, or if you are using a non-CD-safe diaper cream)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"