High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

How soon will GD go away?

I know there's supposed to be a check at six weeks after delivery, but do I have to follow the GD diet during those six weeks?  Or am I good to eat normally as soon as I deliver?

Re: How soon will GD go away?

• Options
    As soon as your rid of that pesky placenta, your GD should be gone!  We have GD because our placentas are producing high levels of Human Placental Lactogen (and some other hormones) and it makes us insulin resistant.  Once the placenta is gone, we're fine.  If you test positive at 6 weeks, you have Type II diabetes. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    They told me I could go back to my regular diet before I left the hospital.  At the 6wk check, if you fail....it would not be GD but rather Type 2.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto the other ladies. Just be aware that having had GD puts you at higher risk for Type II later in life, so it's important to follow up with that 6 week glucose challenge and check periodically after that (I think my dr recommends every 1-2 years) to make sure you're still in the clear.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, that's what I thought but google wasn't giving me an answer to that particular question. 
  • Options

I continued to test my fasting #s for 2 weeks pp, while adding more carbs back into my diet. They were all in normal range, so the peri said I coud stop checking. I still did periodically until my 6 week appt. My OB didn't order another tolerance test since everything was still normal.

I still check my fasting and post-meal #s every now & then.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"