Parenting
Options

Baby shower invite - Rude?

SIL lives out of town and is coming home for us to throw her a baby shower. She has asked that I somehow word on the invitation that people keep in mind she needs to take these gifts back with her on an airplane.....I have no idea how to do this without sounding like I am dictating what they should buy.

Any suggestions on wording or should I just use word of mouth when people RSVP or not saying anything?

Re: Baby shower invite - Rude?

• Options
    I would word of mouth it when people RSVP to you.
    L 7/06 E 8/07 L 6/10 imageimageimage
  • Options
    I have hosted a shower like that. What most of the girls did was ship the gift to her house and put a picture of what it was in a little box so she had something to open.

~Lisa
    Mum to Owen and Lucas Daisypath Wedding tickers>
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Some people are pretty touchy about being told what to do.  As a guest it wouldn't bother me.  I had a friend whose shower was held shortly before she moved across the country and the invitation requested that all gifts be shipped to her new address.  Maybe you could just put it as a suggestion with the registry info and hope people get the hint? Presumably the attendees are her friends who would like to help make her life easier, right?
  • Options

Be careful how you word it. I was FB invited to the shower of an old classmate I hadn't seen in almost 10 years and I was not only told to bring a gift card, but was told where the gift card should be from. I'm not over the top about etiquette, but the whole situation was rude.

A family friend just flew in for a shower and the person writing the shower just put to keep in mind they have to fly and only have one extra suitcase. Something like that. 

• Options

I had this exact situation with a friend a few years ago.  I REALLY did not want to put anything on the invite, but my friend was pretty adamant about it (her fam had a bridal shower for her a few years before adn she spent a few hundred dollars having everything shipped to her, so I guess I understand).  I can't remember the exact wording, but I did put a note with the invite (on the directions sheet or something... it was not on the actual invite) that they were registered at BRU and that the store had their address on file if poeple would like to have the gifts shipped directly to her.  It sounded a lot better than that, but in a round about way it pretty much just suggested that anythign that was large in size be shipped directly to them.  

If I was invited to a shower, I wouldn't care if it was on my invite, but I"m pretty laid back about stuff like that.  No one said a word about it (and people did still bring smaller stuff to teh shower) so I guess it was fine (I hope!) :) 

• Options
    you could have her put on her registry in the notes or special instructions.
  • Options

imagekelly&paul:

I like this, good suggestion! Thanks!

• Options
    I just went to a shower for my niece who lives out of state and had to fly in for the shower.  She actually had a message on her BRU registry page that said she would be flying in and that she would prefer shipped to her house/small gifts/gift cards.  I wasn't offended at all.
  • Options
    jlw2505jlw2505 member
    I would not say a thing.  If these people are close enough with her to be invited to her shower than they know where she lives and if they don't know that, they should not be on the guest list.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options

imagekelly&paul:

This. And I wouldn't be offended if there were special instructions on cute little paper in the actual invitation. Sometimes people just don't think about the little stuff. I would just say that gifts can be sent directly to the house on or after (insert date) and that a picture of the gift can be opened. But say it nicer than that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"