Parenting

Do you let DC jump off the side of the pool?

I know its "dangerous" but allow my kids to jump off the side of the pool even if I am not there to catch them.   They jump out well and I make sure they don't jump into too shallow water or dive.  So do you let you DC jump off the edge of the pool?

We went swimming with MIL/FIL today.  She made up the rule that my children couldn't jump into the pool  and when I got there DS2 felt free to jump in (its not my rule they can't jump, we always let them jump!!).  I mentioned that we usually let them jump and she should remember this from when we swimming before.  DS1 jumped in again.  I felt stupid following a rule that we don't follow but I didn't want to show them up.  (MH would have).  I was miffed when they tried to disicipline DS1 for jumping in--he was sent to TO.  He didn't listen and it ended with MIL pulling on DS1.   I pulled him aside and we had a talk that consisted of "we are not jumping in the pool today, next time we go to the pool...we will jump in, just not today.... "  GAH, I hate that they make up their own rules!! They do the same thing with no eating in the living room, we DONT have that rule.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do you let DC jump off the side of the pool?

• Were you swimming in your pool or theirs?

My pool my rules. Their pool their rules. Community pool my rules.

I grew up jumping off of anythign and everything we could find :o)

ETA: to fix my horrific typing!

~Lisa
    Mum to Owen and Lucas Daisypath Wedding tickers>
  • imageJamaica_Bride:

Were you swimming in your pool or theirs?

I gre up jump off of anythign and everything we could find :o)

It was a community pool at their hotel.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh, that's really annoying. I'd let them jump anyway. If it was their house, their rules, even if they suck.

However, do you mean they allow your kids to eat in the living room when you don't let them or you want your kids to be able to eat in theirs? 

• I would have kept my lip zipped too but it would have made me crazy.

My kids, not your personal pool, my rules.

~Lisa
    Mum to Owen and Lucas Daisypath Wedding tickers>
  • imageghm:

Oh, that's really annoying. I'd let them jump anyway. If it was their house, their rules, even if they suck.

However, do you mean they allow your kids to eat in the living room when you don't let them or you want your kids to be able to eat in theirs? 

I let them eat in the living room.  They come to my house attempt to enforce the rule that "we don't eat in the living room."   We don't see them often, they live in CO.

• Ahhhh...that's annoying. I thought you meant you let your kids eat in their living room. Their house their rules, your house your rules. And of course sometimes your rules still rule at their house :)
  • Gee they sound fun Tongue Tied

And yes, I do let my kids jump off of the side of the pool. I also let them eat in the living, jump and their beds and make sand art on the dining room table. Your In-laws would love me LOL 

Honestly, I would be quite miffed at them for putting my child in a TO for something that they are allowed to do. What was your husbands reaction to this?

Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • ZenyaZenya member
    THEY tried to put him in TO?  Seriously?  Where do people get off?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMominator:

Gee they sound fun Tongue Tied

And yes, I do let my kids jump off of the side of the pool. I also let them eat in the living, jump and their beds and make sand art on the dining room table. Your In-laws would love me LOL 

Honestly, I would be quite miffed at them for putting my child in a TO for something that they are allowed to do. What was your husbands reaction to this?

He was at work.   Let you know after we go out for dinner tonight!  

• imageshopgirl78:
    imageJamaica_Bride:

Were you swimming in your pool or theirs?

I gre up jump off of anythign and everything we could find :o)

It was a community pool at their hotel.  

Ummm...then I'd be super annoyed.  Your the parent, your rules :o)  PS-Yes, I *let* my kids jump off the side.  It's one of the first things they learn in swim lessons. 

• You mean like this (from last summer):

Or this:

Yup. Definitely let my kids jump.  My only rule is no jumping near/towards the stairs. DD#2 tends to be timid about swimming so she'll jump towards there and have a shorter swim.

And I would have said something, but you know I'm not one to hold my tongue.  My kids, my rules, unless we're at someone's house.  In which case, I will try really hard to get my kids to follow their rules.  I probably would have told DS1 and DD that it makes Grandma nervous when they jump and can they not do it just this once...  And I would have probably told MIL off for trying to put my kid in TO for something they usually can do.

• Yes.  It's "dangerous"?  Why?  If you tell them to jump out and it isn't too shallow, I don't see a problem.  I take DS to swimming lessons and they encourage him to jump in- part of learning to swim and comfort in the water and all that jazz.  I like when he jumps in, pool water that is moved around a lot stays cleaner with the filter alone and without human intervention =)

I would have a convo with your MIL to tell her ANYTIME you are around, you are in charge of discipline-- anything else is not fair and confusing to children.  I am sorry you even need to have that convo.

Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Did she misunderstand the "no diving" signs to mean no jumping?  That's the only way I can make sense of this.

Yes, my kids jump, and none of the grandparents would consider putting my kids in a time out, and DH's mom helped raise the older two before I came along. 

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • I'm puzzled: what on earth is "dangerous" about a kid jumping into a pool?

Yes, I let my kids jump. And yes, I think it sounds like your ILs are nuts.

• No, she clearly told DS1 that the sign said "no jumping" she looked at me and said they don't know it, Hailey looked at her and said,"it says NO DIVING : )" Love her! 

What dangerous about jumping in the pool?  I can think of a few senerios that wouldn't be good:  slipping, jumping too close, jumping in to swallow water, jumping on someone (on accident or purpose), jumping near stairs....some of these are controllable but slipping/jumping too close (just one time) could be bad.  While I do think she was worried about safety, I think some of it is that she likes the control (not only my children but me), oh holy hell, freeze was just deemed dangerous by the state of NY.   I am not one for confrontation, so I just smile but almost lost it yesterday...

I told MH about it at dinner (we went out to eat), he said he would have looked at her told her "they can jump!"  which I already knew.  He agreed it was unfair but got a chuckle over it.  He knows I am annoyed by her!

• Yes, of course he's allowed to jump.  Except at my parent's condo pool where it clearly states No Jumping or Diving.  My mom actually told him it was OK to jump at her pool after I told him he couldn't because of the posted rules.  I was a little annoyed at that, especially as she had already heard me say no and she was trying to "override" me.  I told her we try to follow the rules. 

David "BD" 2/8/07 Spencer 9/12/11
  • jlw2505jlw2505 member
    Unless this was a pool at their house, they are your kids and as long as you are there, I would be letting them jumo into the pool and follow all of your rooms.  How I do this with my parents or my ILs is that if they are babysitting, it is there rules.  If we are at their house and the rule has to do with doing things while in there house - we follow their rules (house rules that everyone follows type of thing).  If we are out and about and the grandparents just happen to be with us - it is mine and DH rules that are followed.  If the grandparents don't like it - they can choose not to do that activity with us.  DH has pretty much spelled this out with his parents, his mom really was the only issue as she always tries to over step and for the most part, we set the rules down and that is that.  We know they are grandparents and we let them spoil the kids and do many things that we would not normally do but things like this when we are there, our rules.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"