VBAC
Options

Two news articles on c/s and maternal deaths

iris427iris427 member

These both showed up in my FB newsfeed today.  I'm glad to see the media giving some attention to the fact that c/s can be deadly to the mother.  Some of the statistics in these articles are pretty scary.  A reminder of why access to VBAC is important.

https://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-maternal-mortality-20110426,0,3749537.story

Deaths from pregnancy-related causes, which usually occur around the time of childbirth, have risen dramatically in the United States in the last decade. In a report released Tuesday, a committee investigating such deaths in California cited an increase in caesarean-section births as a major contributor to the disturbing trend.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/caesarian-rates-placenta-accreta-contributing-rise-maternal-death/story?id=13399308&page=1 

Once a rare event that affected 1 in 30,000 pregnant women in the 1950s and 1960s, placenta accreta now affects 1 in 2,500 pregnancies, according to a 2007 report in the Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. In some hospitals, the number is as high as 1 in 522.

And doctors say the main reason is the dramatic rise in the number of Caesarian sections.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Two news articles on c/s and maternal deaths

• Options

well no sh!t sherlock.   interesting reads. 

oh and of course, its nj.  sigh

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for the links.  That second, particularly, is rather scary!  It really shows the importance of minimizing primary c/s.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing.  Very scary and disturbing!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I wasn't aware of that concern. This must be another reason why my OB advised me against having more then 3 children.

Thanks for sharing. I definitely need to educated myself on c-sections (should have the 1st time around just in case)

ETA: correction- 3 term pregnancies. Not likely I will get PG with twins but term PG versus # of children is definitely different.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageAllysunC:

I wasn't aware of that concern. This must be another reason why my OB advised me against having more then 3 children.

Placenta accreta scares the bejesus out of me.  Moreso than a rupture, honestly (which is probably why I never even considered a repeat C/S). 

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Options
    imageAllysunC:

Thanks for sharing. I definitely need to educated myself on c-sections (should have the 1st time around just in case)

ETA: correction- 3 term pregnancies. Not likely I will get PG with twins but term PG versus # of children is definitely different.

My OB told me she has a patient who has had SEVEN c-sections. Seven! Blew my mind. Allysun, when are you thinking about TTC again? We're thinking of starting when DS turns two. Maybe we can be VBAC buddies Wink

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"