Preemies
Options

One last post about recent events with IL's (long)

Here is what I said to them via email...

I am sorry that she is upset, however those pictures did not belong to her to begin with, she took them from our facebook and made them her own without our permission. I can understand wanting to share our joy with others but not at the risk of the babies. By posting pictures for the "public" to see (and yes Mom's account settings are public) she is allowing complete strangers to see OUR babies. I can even understand her printing them out and carrying the photo album around to show people, but to put them on display like that isn't fair to us.

She also mentioned that Lisa doesn't like to look at the pictures so there for I blocked access so that Lisa wouldn't see them. Did she do the same thing and make sure Lisa couldn't see them?

I can clearly see there is going to be a HUGE issue with the babies coming home, etc. because it seems like there are no boundaries. I am a little upset that all three of you came out into the babies area at the NICU knowing that only two people per bedside are allowed and yes I did hear mom get huffy when I mentioned something to the nurse because I didn't want any issues. I have heard them preach to each and every parent about the rules on visitors and I am sorry I am not going to be the one to bend or break them. Yes a few minutes was ok with the nurse because of the holiday but it still makes for issues with other parents and could have even gotten that nurse in trouble too.

I know that Mom wants to help when they come home, but she will not be here every single day. I even talked to her and explained that the first few days that Blake is home and when they are both home, we want that time for ourselves to adapt to the babies and to get them used to their new surroundings without over stimulating them. I do not want to see them back in the hospital because they couldn't handle the change. But even with this she has went on to say how she will be here everyday with me. That's not what I want, nor is it what I need. I appreciate her wanting to help out but I do not want to be smothered either. Just like we always have, we will call when we want or need help.

Neither one of us is comfortable with Mom taking care of the babies by herself, because of her pshycal condition. That's not just for the babies safety but her own. I know she would feel horrible if she dropped one of them or heaven forbid something were to happen and she would panic and not remember what to do. It's not comforting when we can see how much she is going down hill for lack of a better term. Not to mention the fact that they are going to come home on a variaty of medications and/or machines. It will be a lot for us to process even with dealing with it everyday, I can't imagine how it would be for you guys to have to be responsible for all of that without being prepared.

It is important for the babies to have a relationship with all of their close family, but again not at the babies expense. I have no problem having you guys over to visit and would never keep them from you, but everyday is a bit much. You both have always been there for us and been supportive, however sometimes that support comes off as being over bearing and controlling. And I wish desperatly that I didn't have to be the one to address all this but we all know DH never opens his mouth to say how he feels, instead I hear a raft of sh!t about it.

I hope that both of you can understand where we are coming from. Things are vastly different from when you had your kids, and even more so with them being preemies. Their needs are much more different then your average newborn.

The response I got was..."You will never have to worry about that again." Followed by being promptly "unfriended" on FB. The photos still remained up, so I reported it to FB because it violates the terms of usage (not to mention proves my point that "non friends" can see them)

DH called his dad and tried to work things out and it turned into a screaming match while MIL shouted in the background that "If I find your a** I will kill you.", they also went on to throw a hissy fit about a playpen and swing that they were holding for me (that DH and I bought at a yard sale, and DH's mom asked again two days prior if I was coming to get them because someone offered her theirs) and also they were upset because we mentioned POSSIBLY attending a family function at my uncle's in July (pending A LOT OF THINGS...so a real big MAYBE), but yet we had already said we would not be spending Christmas at DH's aunts house (they smoke, had a school aged child, not to mention it's RSV season) but we would welcome some family at our house as long as everyone was feeling well.

FIL ended up just hanging up after saying "Well clearly your mind is made up. And you plan to keep the babies from us."

Today we both got a text from FIL saying "I just wanted to check on you both and make sure everything is ok. We want you both to know we love these babies with all of our hearts and would never intentionally cause them harm."

I responded by calling him and asking if we could talk calmly and restated everything. His response "I understand what you are saying and I don't disagree. But remember you will need some help when they come home." (I do see what he is saying but at the same time I don't get why they all think "we" can't handle it. They act like we don't know what we are doing.) And I said "You are right, but let us initiate that help, and also realize that all of that help can't come from Mom or you for that matter. Mom can't do all she *thinks* she can, even you know that. And we still have to be able to make it without the help because lets face it the help isn't always going to be there."

So that conversation ended with FIL saying "I think the whole thing just got way out of hand, but its over now and we are all on the same page."

Six hours later I get a message sent from FIL's email that reads "From the woman that raised my so called son: X and the nut case you married, you will never have to worry about an unstable mother again. I have a daughter who will one day give me grandchildren."

And now according to FIL I disrespected her somehow and she had every right to say what she did. DH called and asked to speak directly to his mother and she refused so DH said "Deliver this message then from her so called son, No one will disrespect my wife that way and as far as I am concerned...until she can apologize for what she has done I am washing my hands of all of it. My family will have nothing to do with either of you because I will not let my children around someone who disrespects their mother."

And so it has ended, facebook accounts have been blocked and phone numbers have been changed. I've already discussed things with DH and said that she will never be able to take back those words and erase the situation (I might add she is the same person who ran my mother's name thru the dirt for saying the same thing to me when we were in the middle of and IVF cycle...my mom said she wanted nothing to do with my kids, she never asked for grandbabies), which I think makes this wound even deeper. And as far as I am concerned she does not exhist, if he as some point chooses to have a relationship with her I will try to respect that but at this point I do not want that relationship to include our children.

If you made it this far please have a glass of wine on my behalf. Drinks 

TTC #1 since 4/2007... MFI (low motility/low Testosterone) & PCOS IVF #1 August 2010...BFP 1st sono shows TWINS!!!! Due May 23rd 2011 Ruptured @ 21 weeks (Jan 13) Delivered 26 weekers (Blake and Addison) on Valentine's Day... Keeping faith and praying, God has a plan and we just have to learn to follow. Our Blog ... ourvalentinesdaysurprise.blogspot.com Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: One last post about recent events with IL's (long)

• Options
    Holy cow... I am so sorry. Your MIL sounds like a total drama queen and seems completely inappropriate. You and your DH do NOT need this kind of drama with the stress you have right now. Geez louise, some people...
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
  • Options
    What a bunch of wackos!  Seriously, I think you are doing the right thing putting a pause in this relationship.  They need to get a grip.  All that matters is what is in the best interest of your babies and they clearly were not getting it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ((((((((((((((((hug)))))))))))) I really think you need all the hugs you can get right now. You are doing the right thing for your family.
  • Options
    Uggg...so crappy. I am so this situation happened.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I think we had a similar issue about 5 years ago :)  My MIL sent her pastor to the NICU to pray over the babies.  Thing 1:  She knew we didn't want random people in the NICU and I ended up having to ask someone to leave so he could come in since we could only have so many visitors at one time.  I hadn't been able to shower, was still recovering, not feeling well and still in the hospital myself.

My MIL babysat for us so I could work and the boys were able to be at home.  MIL started calling herself mommy to our boys.  She would change them if she didn't like what I had dressed them in, told me her way was better than my way, etc.  It came to a head around their 1st birthday when she called everyone up and changed the date of their party.  Her response?  I waited X amount of years to be a grandmother and you can't take my power away.  We stopped talking to her for a bit and we ended up having to put the boys in daycare.  After several months she called and changed her tune.  It ended up I needed her help.  My husband had to travel for work and I was pregnant again with severe HG.

• Options
    Oh my God, people can be so dumb and inconsiderate, isn't it enough to have seen those tiny babies all hooked up to monitors and IV's??? isn't it enough to have seen them fight to live? Gosh I am so angry for you, at them, why are people so.... i cannot even describe...

You keep doing what you have to do momma to keep your babies healthy and happy, let the world roll.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I have a problem with people who try to make every situation all about them. Your MIL and FIL for that matter suck hardcore. I feel your pain and wish you well and peace.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

wow. so sorry. it is terribly sad that during your nicu life, and your worry over your babies, the true selfish identities of people come out.

Found out what a loser bil is once LO was born, and released from the nicu...needless to say, lo is almost 11 months, bil saw him for the first time at 9 months, and then for a little on easter...oh and we live close, so there wasn't an excuse. If it was up to me, he will never be around him again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image noah joined us 10 weeks early.
  • Options

I'm not on here a lot but I wanted to let you know you are not alone.  We no longer speak to MIL because we have had many similar conversations.  We were tired of her threats, her lies, and her selfish manipulation.  We have also had several conflicts with FIL's family (divorced) over this as well. 

It is hard - this should be one of the happiest times of your life. But FWIW I think you are doing the best thing by establishing boundaries and I am so happy for you that your DH stood up for you.

• Options
    Wow, I am so sorry you have to deal with that.  Family can really suck.  I'm sure you and DH will have no problem taking care of your beautiful little babies.  Sure it will be hard sometimes but no one will ever love them more or be more dedicated to them than you and DH.  Hugs!
    image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imagemommyof4boys:

I think we had a similar issue about 5 years ago :)  My MIL sent her pastor to the NICU to pray over the babies.  Thing 1:  She knew we didn't want random people in the NICU and I ended up having to ask someone to leave so he could come in since we could only have so many visitors at one time.  I hadn't been able to shower, was still recovering, not feeling well and still in the hospital myself.

My MIL babysat for us so I could work and the boys were able to be at home.  MIL started calling herself mommy to our boys.  She would change them if she didn't like what I had dressed them in, told me her way was better than my way, etc.  It came to a head around their 1st birthday when she called everyone up and changed the date of their party.  Her response?  I waited X amount of years to be a grandmother and you can't take my power away.  We stopped talking to her for a bit and we ended up having to put the boys in daycare.  After several months she called and changed her tune.  It ended up I needed her help.  My husband had to travel for work and I was pregnant again with severe HG.

Indifferent Wow...what a nightmare!

image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"