Attachment Parenting
Options

dairy intolerance question

I am pretty sure that my LO can't handle milk or eggs.  My pedi said that if milk is in a cake or something that it would be ok to eat.  Do you find this to be true for your LO?  So far I've tried to avoid things with dairy and eggs in it even if it's baked.  If for instance a cake is ok how do you know when it isn't?  For instance if I make bars with 2 sticks of butter and 2 eggs would this be too much for my LO to handle?  I just don't want to make her tummy hurt anymore...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: dairy intolerance question

• Options

I don't have personal experience with this, but my SIL's daughter (my niece) is dairy, soy and gluten free  - yikes! For her, it's ALL kind of dairy, from milk and eggs to goldfish crackers (b/c of the cheese powder), to Parmesan cheese and anything that has any kind of dairy in it. It totally sucks.

If your LO has a dairy intolerance I would stay away from anything dairy. For cakes and baked goods, SIL makes her own stuff and always brings food along to parties, restaurants and get togethers for her. 

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Options
    My LO is intolerant of dairy and can eat it in baked items no problem. I can tell if it's causing problems by her poop- it becomes green and sort of snotty if she's having problems.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS had a problem with dairy (he outgrew it around 8 months) and I couldn't have anything with dairy, I had a big slice of chocolate cake once around 5 months and he got a really bad rash  :(
  • Options

For my DS we had to eliminate all dairy in everything. We tried just getting rid of obvious things but he couldn't tolerate it. I would recommend getting rid of all dairy and after about a month, try introducing it in things and see how she does.

ETA: I should say he had a pretty bad intolerance which kept him from gaining weight and showed as blood in his poop. He didn't outgrow it until 14 months. There are many babies who can do it in small doses.

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Options
    AnankeAnanke member

I had to cut out all dairy, including hidden dairy like whey and casein.  The smallest amount would mess him up.  I had to check every single label, even on baked good type things, snacks, drinks - everything.  It's amazing how much stuff contains milk products.  I was able to slowly reintroduce light milk products into my own diet when he was about 6.5 months, but he still can't have any in his own diet.  I actually stupidly gave him some mashed potatoes today for dinner and didn't even think about the milk and butter in them until he woke up screaming in pain earlier.   I also notice a difference if I eat too much dairy, but it's not as bad as it was, and he mostly just gets some bad gas now if I eat too much.

Good luck!  It's rough going dairy free, but it's worth it to have a baby not in pain.  Most of them grow out of it between 6-12 months.  You also might loose a few pounds, so that's an extra bonus if you're trying to still shed some baby weight!  And, some recommendations: I loved replacing regular milk with almond milk.  It's delicious and I'm making a permanent switch for most things I normally would have used cow milk for.  For butter, I switched to Smart Balance w/ Flax (read the label - some of the types have dairy in it - the dairy free one says that it is vegan).  I used soy-free/dairy-free cheese, and it was decent enough if I really needed something like cheese in a recipe. 

Good luck! Hope your baby feels better soon!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

My son has a milk protein intolerance and I cannot eat ANYTHING with dairy in it. I have to stay away from breads and other products with whey or casein, and cannot bake or cook anything with regular butter. I became an expert at detecting what foods had any form of dairy in them just by judging my son's reaction to them. My doctor did say many people are fine with small amounts of baked in dairy, we weren't one of the lucky ones though.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"