June 2011 Moms

finally heard something new

Saw my cousin today who had a baby 4 weeks ago.  She said she went to the chiropractor at the end of her pregnancy to help with her hips and it helped with labor.  She then went after the birth and the chiropractor told her to bring in the baby (2 weeks old) and if baby didn't immediately sleep through the night she never should come back and see him again, so reluctantly she did, and he did (sleep through the night) immediately!  I'd never heard of a baby going to a chiropractor but everyone i talked to about this the rest of the day had heard of this too.  i must live under a rock.

Re: finally heard something new

• I am sharing your rock. I have never heard of that, nor would even think of taking my newborn to a chiropractor. Crazy.  I wonder what they do to the baby. Hmmm....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagekrptcmschfmkr128:
    They did an adjustment on a 2wk old baby? That sounds kind of out there to me... I mean, babies wake up for feeding or to get changed, not just for the hell of it. It doesn't seem very sensible to me. But that's just my .02

This is what i thought too, when i talked to one of my friends later about it she said her chiropractor has a 3 and 1 year old and has told her that he did an adjustment on them both minutes after they were born.  He explained to her something about the trauma to spine at birth can cause problems the don't adjust on their own for months.

• Loading the player...
  • Very strange. As much as I miss my sleep with a NB, I don't think I would want him sleeping through the night at 6 weeks. That would scare the living bejeezus out of me. Babies need to wake up to eat. They digest their food way too fast, even formula fed babies. I also can't imagine any reason why a child, much less a new born would need an adjustment unless they have a medical problem.

• I have actually heard of this alot. Most often thing I hear having to do with it though is that you should think about how curled up they are inside of you and the damage it would do to your spine if you were in that position much less a baby. Idk it seems a little strange to me but to each their own.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Something like that just sounds a little too bizarre for my taste. I also wouldn't feel comfortable with my brand-new baby sleeping through the night after an "adjustment". Hmmm....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yes I'd be curious too as to what he/she did to the baby! Go find out and report back! lol
  • I agree with all of you!!  I am so glad to hear some of you question it as well.  I am currently treating a 33 year old who a chiropractor caused to have a stroke because he kept adjusting her neck until she had an inside bleed and through a clot!!  My Physical Therapy friend says it's one thing to adjust the back but you really need to leave the neck alone!! It terrifies me to even think of them adjusting a baby! My patient is recovering well but will be left with some permanent disabilities even after finishing therapy.
  • I've heard of it. But i have never taken my daughter to see my Chiro. He's told me about trauma's to the baby in delivery. But we had a c/s with her so there wasn't the same trama. Were doing Dr. recommended physio with her at 2 weeks because she was a frank breech and had hip displaysia so i felt no need for her to see the chiro as well. Had physio not helped i would have considered her seeing our chiropractor.
  • I've heard of taking a baby, but I've never heard of it being ok for a 2 week old to sleep through the night!

At 2 weeks old we will be waking the baby up to eat if she doesn't wake on her own.

6 weeks is a different story, and both of my formula fed girls were sleeping through the night by 6 weeks, but at 2 weeks they really need to eat at least once every 4 hours.

• imagehannahruth32:
    I agree with all of you!!  I am so glad to hear some of you question it as well.  I am currently treating a 33 year old who a chiropractor caused to have a stroke because he kept adjusting her neck until she had an inside bleed and through a clot!!  My Physical Therapy friend says it's one thing to adjust the back but you really need to leave the neck alone!! It terrifies me to even think of them adjusting a baby! My patient is recovering well but will be left with some permanent disabilities even after finishing therapy.
    i've worked for physical therapists as well as orthopedic surgeons as well as read entirely too much. no way in hell would i go to a chiropractor let alone take a newborn to one!
  • A newborn adjustment is not like the adjustments we get as adults. On babies they use this little suction cup thingy on the back. The amount of pressure used is comparable to the amount of pressure you could press on your closed eyelid without any discomfort. I took the baby I babysat for in college to one of his appts and he did it on my hand to show me what it felt like.

• I've seen literature in my chiro's office about this, but I don't know if I want to bring him in as early as 2 weeks. I've read that they may need adjustments due to spine compression and twisting after the birth process.

I'm not sure how much I believe that, and how much is chiro's trying to wring as much money out of their patients as possible. I know that going and getting an adjustment helps me, but I've had years and years of back problems.

And Then There Were Three...
    Married: 08/14/10
    Baby #1 Born: 06/18/11
    June Moms Blog
  • A friend of mine (and a friend of hers) have both taken their babies to the chiro for help with tummy troubles.  They have worked like a charm for them.

ETA - the treatment for my friend's baby was more massage than a typical adjustment.  She also has an acupuncturist that works with infants.  Again, not needles, just massage.

• imagesunset+skies:

I've seen literature in my chiro's office about this, but I don't know if I want to bring him in as early as 2 weeks. I've read that they may need adjustments due to spine compression and twisting after the birth process.

I'm not sure how much I believe that, and how much is chiro's trying to wring as much money out of their patients as possible. I know that going and getting an adjustment helps me, but I've had years and years of back problems.

Most will do a newborn for free, at least in my area. 

• I'd not heard of that either. BUT I slept through the night at 2 weeks old (and never looked back) without any chiropractic intervention, so I hope baby takes after his mommy!
  • I have heard of it, but usually in terms of a colicky or fussy baby who was "out of alignment" from birth.  I've never considered it myself and I certainly would not think it should "make" the baby sleep through the night at two weeks. That is extremely uncommon and would probably worry  me!  I have also heard of people bringing their infants/toddlers to the chiro for help with ear infections.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageTurtle143:
    yes I'd be curious too as to what he/she did to the baby! Go find out and report back! lol

My chiro says it's just little spinal massages...not an "adjustment" per se - as we  adults know it to be...

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • That feels too out there for me. A NB baby shouldn't be sleeping through the night.
    Anniversary
    *photo removed*
  • I go to the chiro and he has a bunch of pics hanging around the office of newborns being adjusted.  They look too tiny to be there!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"