Single Parents

Whose last name does/do your child/children have?

When I thought that FI were going to get married in July I gave LO his last name since mine would be the same soon enough. Now that those plans are down the drain, I'm thinking of changing LO's last name to mine. If I do that, does it excuse FI from child support (of course I will get a legal opinion... I'm just collecting ideas right now).

Did anyone else give LO their name?

ETA: Edited for grammar! 

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Whose last name does/do your child/children have?

• No, it won't excuse him from child support. But if he has any custody of your child, he can say no to the name change. 

My children (and I) all have my ex-husbands name. Eventually, I will remarry and take on my spouse's name. My children will have their father's name. 

imageimage

TheseFourButton-1.png

• My daughter has my last name. I knew from the moment I found out I was pregnant with her  that there was no way she was getting his last name. He was upset but who cares. Now since he isnt doing anything, I know that I have made the right decision. It does not excuse him from child support whatsoever.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My son has my last name and I get child support from him. If I were ever to get married I would hyphenate my last name. I think you have to get your son's fathers permission to change his last name.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    "There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."
  • DD has my last name. My ex didn't show up at the hospital so I gave her mine. It was a good choice because he is not involved now and I do receive child support from him.
    DD1 born 11.23.10
    DD2 born 4.16.14
  • I guess I should add that I plan on filing for sole legal custody before the name change so he'll end up not having a say in the matter. 

@Cantdecidethis: The last name is ex-FI's deadbeat father last name. He's never met the man. I don't feel an obligation to keep it going, if you KWIM! Actually I'm my father's only child and feel more strongly about continuing my father's name.

• Even if you have sole legal custody you still need to get the father's permission.  Sole legal custody just means that you make decisions regarding education, religion, health decisions, etc.; it doesn't mean that the father no longer has legal rights.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Jake has his father's last name. I'm not going to try and change it. Mainly because my ex will never go for it, and also because I have two last names and it's really long.

• imagebeccaga16:

I gave my child my maiden name. In Ohio you can give a child any last name you want... so knowing we were getting divorced I gave her the name I will be going back to.

I never wanted DD to be known by his name. She deserves better.

I really wish I had known what I know now. LO would have gotten my last name. I guess hindsight is 20/20! 

• imageAlamo509:
    DD has my last name. My ex didn't show up at the hospital so I gave her mine. It was a good choice because he is not involved now and I do receive child support from him.

I had the same situation. He didn't show up. He was out of state with one of his other kids so I guess she wasnt that important to him. He has been MIA the majority of the time and I am just now getting started to get any type of support from him.

• imagejmarable88:

imageAlamo509:
    DD has my last name. My ex didn't show up at the hospital so I gave her mine. It was a good choice because he is not involved now and I do receive child support from him.

I had the same situation. He didn't show up. He was out of state with one of his other kids so I guess she wasnt that important to him. He has been MIA the majority of the time and I am just now getting started to get any type of support from him.

My ex has 2 other kids and one was from a one night stand. He was there at the hospital for that girl but not me and we had been in a relationship for quite awhile. It's pretty sad.

DD1 born 11.23.10
    DD2 born 4.16.14
  • My LO is getting my last name. XH doesn't deserve to have his name carried on. Thank goodness I never changed my name to begin with.
  • Even if you get sole legal custody, you will need his permission to change the baby's last name.  If you are set on changing it, I suggest you request it when you file for custody.  That's what my sister did and since he didn't contest the parenting plan/custody agreement she got a default judgment that included the baby's last name being changed to her name.  Get legal advice. :)

Our Journey to Brenden

IVF #1: 4/11(Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix) 10 retrieved/8 mature and all 8 fertilized / 2 embies transferred ... nothing to freeze Beta 5/10 = BFN

IVF Take 2 Long Lupron July 2011

ER 7/3/11 (our 6th anniversary) - 8 retrieved/7 mature/fert ....ET 7/6/11 - 2 beautiful grade A 8 cell embryos

Beta 7/18/11 - 149!!! Beta 7/21/11 - 311 Beta 7/28/11 - 2,000 8/5/11 - Empty Sac 8/8/11 - There's a yolk sac and maybe a heartbeat 8/12/11 - Fetal pole, yolk sac, heartbeat 8/18/11 - Baby looks GREAT!
    3 babies waiting on ice

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imageKaliChick:
    Even if you get sole legal custody, you will need his permission to change the baby's last name.  If you are set on changing it, I suggest you request it when you file for custody.  That's what my sister did and since he didn't contest the parenting plan/custody agreement she got a default judgment that included the baby's last name being changed to her name.  Get legal advice. :)

This is what I'm doing. I made the mistake of giving LO her father's last name, and I hate it. He isn't involved in her life, by my choice, and I really wish she had my last name. I regret it soooo much. I am really hoping that I will be able to change it or at least hyphenate it when the judgement is complete.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • DD still legally has Ex-H's last name,  but it is in our separation agreement that I will go back to my maiden name and she will have my name too. So it will happen after the divorce is finalized. For all intents and purposes, it is already changed- she is just starting to learn her last name, and I don't want it to be confusing to her, so we are already calling her by my maiden name.

For me, it was a BIG deal to me to change my name when we got married b/c I am very close to my family, and have never been a big fan of his family. Now that he has turned into a huge douchebag and followed in his father's footsteps, I want nothing to do with that name, and I don't want my daughter to have it either. 

• i'm planning to give my daughter my last name. He hasn't shown any interest in this pregnancy so far. He has 3 other children that carry his name. I feel like i'm going to be the one providing for her, so she should carry my name. We're not married, engaged, or even dating at this point. Even if he DOES end up coming around, it's going to take a lot of persuading to get me to change it as he has been very unstable and is from another country and can just up & leave at any time. I'm not going anywhere.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"