Toddlers: 24 Months+

POLL: Where should we move to??

My husband and I always talk about moving someday.  We currently live in the Midwest and can't stand the cold, long winters and boring scenery.  We'd love to live somewhere more sunny and warm (50 degrees or warmer for at least most of the year), near water or mountains (or other beautiful scenery), be able to live in a house that's not on top of the neighboring houses (lets say cost is not an option), kid-friendly neighborhoods, and within at least 30-45 min of a bigger city.

Any ideas???

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: POLL: Where should we move to??

• We live south of Denver (about 15 miles) and LOVE it. It meets much of your criteria. We still have winter, but most of the time it's sunny and often mild. We are close to mountains, and near Denver, which is a great city. The cost of living is a bit higher than the midwest (where I'm from), but it's doable. I love the outdoor recreation opportunities, particularly. My city is VERY kid friendly and was recently named one of the best small cities in the country. Our public schools are very good, although in different areas of the city, it might be different. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • sounds like you'd do well in a Houston suburb. (Hmm, except maybe too hot...). Move to the Woodlands, you're 45ish minutes from downtown on a good day, and there's a big lake just to your north. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Jupiter Florida. We are moving to the area soon and are excited! It's very healthy, family friendly, it has the beach and is close to West Palm )20 minutes or less), Ft. Lauderdale (an hour) and Miami (1.5 hours). The town is very bike friendly and has A community garden which we intend to get involved in. Did I mention the beach? It may be a little too drastic to go from somewhere so cold to somewhere so hot for you though.
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I lived in San Diego for 7 years and honestly, if you like the sun, you can't beat the weather.  It's in the 60s - 70s most of the year.  It's absolutely wonderful!!   The city itself has a ton to do with kids and it's a really laid-back place.  Also you can drive up to the mountains (big bear) in about 2 hrs.  With that said, we moved from San Diego because the cost-of-living was crazy.  The house prices are really high and it seems like everything else is really expensive there too.  But if money were no object, we would move back in a heartbeat.  

We currently live in Austin, TX.  I love it.  There are a ton of young families and overall the economy is doing great.  Austin is frequently rated as one of the top growing cities in the country because of the growth of high-tech and engineering jobs which is bringing in a lot of younger families.  In addition the people here are super friendly and laid back, which we love.  We have been able to make some great friends because of it.

As for the weather, it's pretty nice most of the year.  In the summer, it does get pretty hot -- I'd say June through September we'll have lots of 90-100 degree days but there is a ton of stuff to do outside including going to the lakes, or the different parks or pools around the city.  Austin is a really active outdoorsy city with tons of trails and parks, and a lot to do.  We don't have mountains, but Austin is part of the "hill country" with beautiful hills with lots of green trees.

The nightlife is pretty fun, although we don't really partake of that anymore.  ;)  But there are some nice restaurants and stuff too.

I love it here and honestly, I wouldn't mind staying here the rest of my life.   

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We live in Raleigh/Durham area of North Carolina and love it. We moved here 6 years ago and never regretted it. We are 5 hours from the mountains and 2 from the beaches. Not to mention we can easily get to Williamsburg, Washington, D.C., Hilton Head, Florida.

The home prices are really reasonable, the weather is perfect from Sept-May and then June, July, Aug do get hot, but it is worth the trade off. We live in Wake Forest, NC which is just outside Raleigh in Wake County. The schools are great, the people are great and everything is new and more upscale but you don't pay high prices! t is very family friendly with tons of parks, playgrounds and things to do. I would not chose to live anywhere else! If you want an idea for home prices in this area check out FMREALTY and search zip 27587.

• We moved from Buffalo NY to SC about 5 years ago now for DH's job. I want to move to Raleigh NC in the near future for all the reasons as above poster. I also agree on San Diego my DH has cousins there that we have visited and it is great but very expensive!
    Addison Elizabeth
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Carter James
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Prescott, Arizona.

It's about 90 minutes north of Phoenix and the winter temperatures average highs in the 50s and when it snows (only a few times per winter) it doesn't stick for all that long. A good majority of the year, the highs are in the 70s and 80s, although, it does get into the 90s in the summer.

It's foresty (if you go up north another 20-30 minutes you'll totally be in the forest and it'll be much cooler - good skiing in Flagstaff which isn't too far away), isn't humid, doesn't have blizzards/tornadoes/hurricanes/earthquakes/super hot temps (like Phoenix).

The houses are usually on a decent amount of land, and there is still a nice big mall and tons of shopping. Oh, and you can still get the small-town feel in the town square.

It is my dream to live there. Someday we WILL move from Phoenix and move up there!

• San Diego! Perfect weather! I always laugh as we enjoy 80 days at the beach in jan / feb.
  • imagemrs_kelly1014:

Prescott, Arizona.

It's about 90 minutes north of Phoenix and the winter temperatures average highs in the 50s and when it snows (only a few times per winter) it doesn't stick for all that long. A good majority of the year, the highs are in the 70s and 80s, although, it does get into the 90s in the summer.

It's foresty (if you go up north another 20-30 minutes you'll totally be in the forest and it'll be much cooler - good skiing in Flagstaff which isn't too far away), isn't humid, doesn't have blizzards/tornadoes/hurricanes/earthquakes/super hot temps (like Phoenix).

The houses are usually on a decent amount of land, and there is still a nice big mall and tons of shopping. Oh, and you can still get the small-town feel in the town square.

It is my dream to live there. Someday we WILL move from Phoenix and move up there!

This :) OR Sedona, AZ :)

• Northern Ca is perfect.  I'm biased being born and raised here, but it is.
  • Northern VA/Southern MD - like DC area. I've traveled quite a bit and this is where I would move to if I could go anywhere. DC is such a great kid city - free museums, free zoos, great public transportation, and the weather is perfect - you still get all 4 seasons, but not nearly as much snow as I see in New England. I would move there in a second if I coud bear to leave our families!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"