Attachment Parenting
Options

I am a new mom and I have a couple of questions.

My little guy loves to be held, and this is the first night that I have actually gotten away from him to do a little school work.  He is 5 days old. 
1. Is holding him all the time going to spoil him, and make it so that I won't get any sleep as he gets older?

Also, I had a c-section, and my milk hasn't come in yet. 
2. Would you switch from formula to breast milk, or would it even be possible?  Like I would pump, because he is a lazy latcher (everytime he would latch, he would suck-suck-pause-suck-suck-fall asleep).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I am a new mom and I have a couple of questions.

• Options

1. He's so young- you're not going to create bad habits at this age. Give him what he needs!

2. 5 days is a normal amount of time to wait for your milk to come in. Putting you son to your breast frequently is going to help your milk to come in. Don't forget, his stomach is so tiny at this point and that colostrum does quite a bit to fill him up!  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Congratulations! Holding him is good for both of you. He's used to be warm and cuddled up inside of you, so if he is warm, cozy, and cuddled up with you now he'll probably be one happy little guy. He'll assert his independence as he gets older, and then he'll let you know when he wants to do his own thing and when he wants to be with you. Close contact, even skin to skin, will also help with your milk supply. If you want to breastfeed, stick with breastfeeding. It is totally normal for newborns to fall asleep nursing. Keep an eye out for signs that he's hungry and then feed him on demand. The more he nurses (even if it's just brief periods of sucking), the better it will be for your milk supply. If he's having latch issues, or if you're just concerned about your supply or whether or not he's getting enough, call a lactation consultant. The more you use formula, the harder it will be to build/maintain a supply.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you!  I didn't think I was spoiling but I had that in the back of my mind.  That I could be.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No, holding him all the time wont spoil him. My DS is 5 months and I have to hold him or wear him allll the time. Sometimes I need a break, for sure,  but remember that they are only this small and cuddly for such a short time. I promise you wont regret time spent cuddling your baby. My DD was not as high needs as DS and once she was about 2 months she really didnt want to be held or worn all the time. She was/is a very independent baby/girl and there were times when she was little that I wanted to snuggle her and she wanted to play on her playmat and observe everything. Anyways my point is to enjoy holding him now cause he will grow up fast! ;-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Stop by my blog! www.ginasguideto.blogspot.com
  • Options

Trust your momma instincts, you will not spoil! Attached parenting is all about building a trusting bond with baby and this means responding with sensitivity, babies do not self-sooth, they need loving, calm parents to show them. Attached parenting is also about loving touch, and there can't be too much of it..if the child is accepting, breastfeeding,hugs, cuddling, kisses, holding and rocking (even to sleep) are great for contact and affection.

for more on attachment parenting here are some links:

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T130300.asp

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T110246.asp

https://thebabybond.com/ComfortNursing.html

https://www.kellymom.com/parenting/index.html

sleep: 

https://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/search/label/Sleep

more advice on pumping:

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html

https://www.workandpump.com/ 

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Options
    imagekegallagh:

Congratulations! Holding him is good for both of you. He's used to be warm and cuddled up inside of you, so if he is warm, cozy, and cuddled up with you now he'll probably be one happy little guy. He'll assert his independence as he gets older, and then he'll let you know when he wants to do his own thing and when he wants to be with you. Close contact, even skin to skin, will also help with your milk supply. If you want to breastfeed, stick with breastfeeding. It is totally normal for newborns to fall asleep nursing. Keep an eye out for signs that he's hungry and then feed him on demand. The more he nurses (even if it's just brief periods of sucking), the better it will be for your milk supply. If he's having latch issues, or if you're just concerned about your supply or whether or not he's getting enough, call a lactation consultant. The more you use formula, the harder it will be to build/maintain a supply.

pretty Much exactly this. Google fourth trimester or happiest baby on the block for some info on why your baby NEEDS to be held. My milk didn't even come in until day 10 so keep on putting that baby to the breast. You can do it :) I doubt he has a lazy latch it is pretty typical for babies to fall asleep nursing. tricks to help tickle baby's feet or undress them when they fall asleep if they need to eat more. Good luck!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • Options

My DS was literally in my arms or his dad's all the time during his first probably 4-5 months of life. We started out trying to keep him in his crib at night, but that quickly ended when my X was fed up and exhausted from getting up a zillion times a night, and I was still recovering from my c-sec. He's slept in my bed full time since.

Now, at almost 9 months, he's perfectly content to hang out in his play area by himself while I do other stuff, and is even starting to show signs that he's moving on from the bedsharing. He totally pushes me away if I get to close to him at night, so I'm thinking it may be time to transition to his own bed soon. (way sad for me, since I love the baby snuggles). 

And all of this is a big F you to my mom, who told me that he would never be able to be on his own since I never put him down, and he'd be in my bed til he's 14. Take that!! 

As for the BFing, it also took me a while for the milk to come in, but once it did, it came full force. I think it's pretty normal for newborns to pass out while nursing. Just put him on the breast whenever you get a chance, use a pump, whatever works to encourage your supply to come in. And don't give up! Unless he's losing weight, or obviously starving all the time, your body is doing exactly what it needs to do. 

Breastfeeding, Co-Sleeping, Babywearing, Animal Loving Family! Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageLucky_N_Love:
    imagekegallagh:

pretty Much exactly this. Google fourth trimester or happiest baby on the block for some info on why your baby NEEDS to be held. My milk didn't even come in until day 10 so keep on putting that baby to the breast. You can do it :) I doubt he has a lazy latch it is pretty typical for babies to fall asleep nursing. tricks to help tickle baby's feet or undress them when they fall asleep if they need to eat more. Good luck!

Don't get discouraged if he keeps falling asleep! We had to strip DS to his diaper every time he nursed for two weeks before he would stay awake long enough to eat, and we're still BFing at almost six months. Hang in there and follow your gut :] .

imageimageimage

• Options
    imageAmberLoryn2629:
    imageLucky_N_Love:
    imagekegallagh:

Don't get discouraged if he keeps falling asleep! We had to strip DS to his diaper every time he nursed for two weeks before he would stay awake long enough to eat, and we're still BFing at almost six months. Hang in there and follow your gut :] .

We did this too.  Also the tickling and blowing, and I would pull (very slightly!) away to "re-activate" DS's sucking. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You've already gotten some really good advice, but I want to add some for item #2. If you want to BF, get him on the boob & don't give any formula. Breast milk is supply/demand - if he's not getting on the boob, your supply will dry up. Don't worry about pumping unless you're doing it after nursing to build up some supply. Just get him on the boob. If he falls asleep, it's okay - Ari did that for weeks, & we just stopped nursing last week (22 months old). Try to wake him with tricks that pp's mentioned, if all fails, try again in 30-60 minutes. I highly recommend calling a lactation consultant. Check with your hospital or a midwife for a recommendation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"