Eco-Friendly Family

Car seat clicky

DS car seat is currently behind the drivers seat. I'm super concerned about the safety aspect of doing so. I know it's safer for him to be in the middle. However, I love that I can see him in the mirror when he's behind me. When I had him in his other car seat he was in the middle and I couldn't get a mirror in the right spot to see him. I like being able to see him because if he freaks out in the car seat he almost always signs to me to tell me what's up (usually food, milk, or water). Then he's happy as a clam. I wouldn't be able to hand him anything in the middle nor would I be able to see him if he signs to me.

ETA: The reason I kind of want to move it to the middle is because I can't push the drivers seat all the way back with it behind the seat. That means that Dh can never drive my car. He only uses his truck to get to work - we use my car for everything else. It sucks that he can't drive it. I pick him up sometimes so the same problem occurs if I just move the seat behind the passenger side.

[Poll]

Re: Car seat clicky

• Can you move him to the passenger side?

If so, you should still be able to glance over your right shoulder and see what he is doing/signing. You would be able to adjust your seat better. But of course that doesn't resolve the middle seat safety thing. Just an option.

photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I have the same dilemma - DD is rear facing in the middle and I can't see her even with a mirror.  She's older, though, so she can talk to me and it's not such a big deal anymore.  If she needs to show me something, I have her hold it up so I can see it in the rearview mirror.  I can still reach her if I need to give her something (a toy, a cup,etc.).  She just has to reach above her head and I only give her things if I'm stopped at a red light.  I was going to say the same thing as the PP - would it work to put him on the passenger side? 
  • Loading the player...
  • I could put him on the passenger side but then whenever I pick up Dh he would have to drive. Or if we go anywhere together he will have to drive. I think I might try moving him to the passenger side and see how it goes. His seat is pretty easy to move.
  • imageblissfully_caffeinated:
    I could put him on the passenger side but then whenever I pick up Dh he would have to drive. Or if we go anywhere together he will have to drive. I think I might try moving him to the passenger side and see how it goes. His seat is pretty easy to move.

We have this problem in DH's car too (a small, 2 door Mustang).  DD's seat is on the passenger side there and if I ride with them, I either have my knees in my chin (not a huge deal as long as I'm not driving) or I sit in back with her behind my DH.  

• njh514njh514 member
    Double check your car's user's manual. We had our son in the middle then when I was looking at the manual I realized that we don't actually have the latch in the middle seat. I was using the left one from the passenger side and the right one from the driver's side to create a middle seat latch. I was super surprised. It made up my mind for me when I was trying to decide where to put Owen.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I think the middle is best because of safety and also for parent comfort in the front.  Also DS hates when the sun is in his eyes and the middle does give him some more shade -and way less crying for me to deal with.  We have a Acura MDX (pretty good size SUV) and I'm 5'4 so not extemely tall.  With DS behind me I couldnt move my seat back far enough and definitely not far enough back for DH who is 5'11.  You can adjust to learn to pass toys and cups etc but maybe won't be able to see the signs.   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • But if you are set on having the seat on one of the sides it makes most sense to have it behind the passenger side.  That way DH can drive your car. He may not be able to sit in the passenger seat but at least he can drive it when he needs to and you can just ride passenger when its you and DH.  It will also be easier to see baby and also pass them things when they are on passenger side. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD is on the passenger side of my car.  I have a hump in the middle that caused her car seat to rock side to side, eventually loosening up the belt.  We had it checked twice to make sure we had installed it correctly.  We had, it was just a function of the car that was making the middle seat not an option.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"