1st Trimester
Options

Coloring my hair???

So my husband has concerns about me getting my hair highlighted and colored. I haven't asked my doctor about this yet. What's your thought on this? 
BabyName Ticker

Re: Coloring my hair???

• Options
    I read that there isn't a lot of proof behind this yet, but that highlights are better than a chemical coloring. I actually just got mine done today. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm definitely not going to color my hair while I'm pregnant. There's a lot of sources that say its ok and a lot that say its not ok. I think I'd rather be safe than sorry in this situation and hold out. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    There's no problem with it. I asked my doctor the first time I was pregnant and he said as long as the smells don't make me vomit, I'll be okay.  I do it every 8 weeks through this pregnancy just like I did the first one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Honestly, I didn't do only because pregnancy hormones can change how your hair reacts to the dye, so I wanted to avoid having some sort of weird color.  It had nothing to do with anything afftecting the baby.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options

My understanding is it's a no no during the first trimester. Here's an article you might want to read so you can make an informed decision.

https://www.pregnancy.org/article/dying-change-hair-color-and-your-pregnancy

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
  • Options
    I asked my OB. I actually got highlites done the day I found out I was prego. She said that the dangers are for the ladies who work in the field, and are exposed to the fumes and chemicals day after day. She told me that highlites are better than all over color, but the dangers are very minimal. If the area is well ventilated, I wouldn't worry.
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor said it's a no-no in the first trimester. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    amyj63amyj63 member
    looks like there is mixed feelings. I guess just listen to your doctor. 
  • Options
    I dyed mine dark at week 10 or so because I didn't want to deal with running back every few weeks to touch up my already gross-looking highlights -- my hair is growing in like crazy.  The midwife said it was fine.  I had an ultrasound last week and the baby is doing great. 
    "I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing."

• Options
    My OB said it was fine, but I am going to try to wait until after 1st trimester (even tho my roots are getting plenty gross haha) and just get highlights.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I've been reading What to Exepect When Expecting and although there's not a lot of evidence that proves its harmful to color your hair when prego, it's suggested to wait until after the first tri.

I don't know if I can wait that long before my roots start to badly show, but I'm going to personally try to stretch it as long as possible

• Options
    I work in the professional salon industry and if it were that harmful no hairdresser would be able to work during pregnancy and we all do! I would recommend highlighting instead of all over dye since your hormones can cause the dye to react differently if your body is putting off more heat than normal, highlights will keep the color off the scalp and let your hairdresser better control the outcome. If you really need an all over shade ask for a ammonia free demi permanant they will give some grey coverage if need be but less of a risk of strange out comes and much gentler all around though be careful some products listed as ammonia free just use a substitute instead so if the box or your hairdressers says it's ammonia free but it will still make your hair lighter than it's natural shade it's NOT ammonia free. Hope this helps! Smile
    image image IAmPregnant Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am 10 weeks pregnant and have had my hair colored twice already..hate roots!  Baby is developing perfectly :)
    Rache-N-Luke
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"