Eco-Friendly Family
Options

NER: Anti-anxiety meds and breastfeeding?

I have a terrible fear of flying.  Before the baby came, I would use small doses of Xanax just before the flight and during the flight to get me through.  My questions are these:

1.  What is the current thought on the safety of using Xanax while breasfeeding?  I would only be using it for a round trip flight we'll be doing in June (I don't use it on a regular basis).

2.  Are there better medications for anxiety than Xanax?  Xanax is an old one and I'm sure there's a lot of newer stuff that might be better.  If you think so, please also let me know what you mean when you say it's "better."

Note:  I have tried alternatives to medication and have had no success.  At this point, I don't want to discuss alternatives and would rather just talk about meds (which I realize can be considered the easy way out).

Thanks!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: NER: Anti-anxiety meds and breastfeeding?

• Options
    My doc & pedi both thought that Xanax was fine for occasional use, though not long term.  They both prefer Ativan though.  There's very little evidence to suggest that Ativan would have a sedating effect on a BF'd infant, no evidence of harm to milk supply, etc.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks a lot, ladies!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"