Stay at Home Moms
Options

Taking a 7 week old baby to the library ...

I have been reading on my kindle for PC while pumping & while LO takes her afternoon nap in my arms. I *need* to go to the library and stop spending so much on books from Amazon ...

Any thoughts/advice on taking a 7 week old to the library? I work at a University and would go to that library ... my plan would be to rush in, grab books, and get out. I'm a little nervous about Murphy's Law and LO having a screamfest. I don't want to be rude to others who are reading/studying, but I really want to go!! I have been taking LO out about twice a week, but it has been to places like the park, the pediatrician, the grocery store, and the pediatrician. The library is so much more nerve wracking.

Would it be rude to call ahead of time and ask if one of the student workers could pull some of the books I want so I could just do a 5 trip?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Taking a 7 week old baby to the library ...

• Options
    It would be fine.  Even if she does cry, you can just leave and come back.  Plus a newborn's cry is not usually as ear piercing as an older baby.  I often request books through my library's website.  If they are in stock, they will pull them and have them waiting for me.
    DD: 04/09 TTC#2 since 10/09 Dx: PCOS w/IR M/c #1: 07/10 M/c #2: 09/10 M/c #3: 03/11
  • Options

I think it would be fine...libraries don't seem to be so super quiet any more anyway.  If you really are that worried, maybe you could find a library near you like mine...I go to a county library with many branches.  When I want a book, movie or cd, I just go online and reserve it.  When it is available, they put it on a shelf for me and email me that it is ready at my branch.  It's so fast and easy...you could just run in and out like you are wanting to do.

But I don't think you should worry that much about it...I bet LO would probably sleep through your whole visit anyway  :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would bring her to the library.  If she cries, you can leave.  You're overthinking this.  Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Why not just go to the community library that is more family friendly and you're not as likely to disrupt students studying?
    Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options

imageJ&A2008:
    Why not just go to the community library that is more family friendly and you're not as likely to disrupt students studying?

I might have to ... but it's not nearly as big and doesn't have good parking. Sadly, it may close sometime this summer. :-( Nothing like the community library in my hometown.

And like PP said, I am probably overthinking this. I still have this slight panic when LO starts crying in public and all eyes turn to me. That will probably go away soon ... (?)

• Options
    imageJessesGirl&MackenziesMom:

imageJ&A2008:

I might have to ... but it's not nearly as big and doesn't have good parking. Sadly, it may close sometime this summer. :-( Nothing like the community library in my hometown.

And like PP said, I am probably overthinking this. I still have this slight panic when LO starts crying in public and all eyes turn to me. That will probably go away soon ... (?)

I doubt most people are looking at you like OMG shut your kid up.  I always look around when I hear a little tiny cry because I love seeing the little tiny babies.

DD: 04/09 TTC#2 since 10/09 Dx: PCOS w/IR M/c #1: 07/10 M/c #2: 09/10 M/c #3: 03/11
  • Options
    imageShozziee:
    imageJessesGirl&MackenziesMom:

imageJ&A2008:

I doubt most people are looking at you like OMG shut your kid up.  I always look around when I hear a little tiny cry because I love seeing the little tiny babies.

Beginning of the semester, maybe.  But, it's finals time, and most of those kids have never dealt with a screaming baby and are not likely to be too sympathetic.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options
    Oops I meant most everywhere else.  Doctor, grocery store, park, etc.
  • Options
    kacellekacelle member

I was a student worker in a library (a public library, not a university library), and we were usually kept busy.  It would've been a hassle if people were calling in asking us to pull books.  We actually wouldn't have been able to set aside books for patrons without them paying a fee to put the book on hold.  I'd just take your LO and leave if she starts fussing!  

ETA: I guess my thinking on this is that calling ahead would be like calling a grocery store to ask if they could set aside the items off your list for you.  However, most libraries (at least community libraries) have an option for you to reserve books online, typically when they're checked out, and they'll be held for you when available.

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options

I used to bring Jake weekly. The library was within walking distance and I would bring him in the moby. The librarians LOVED him. Seriously, he probably could of screamed and they would still love him. Most of the time he fell asleep while walking there.

The only thing I had trouble with, was getting books off the bottom shelf when he was in the carrier!

I would totally go. 

Can you reserve books online? At my library, I could reserve books and I would be called and they would be at the desk for me.

• Options
    imagekacelle:

ETA: I guess my thinking on this is that calling ahead would be like calling a grocery store to ask if they could set aside the items off your list for you.  However, most libraries (at least community libraries) have an option for you to reserve books online, typically when they're checked out, and they'll be held for you when available.

That is my thinking too.  This reminds me of when I worked retail and people would ask us if we had this or that in this particular size.  It was like they wanted us to do their shopping over the phone and it was rude and a hassle, and not something we really had time for. BUT if your library happens to have something like that - go ahead.  If not, I wouldn't ask.  And yes, you're over thinking it.  If you want to go to the library, go.  If he starts crying, leave.  No biggie.  

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options

Our local library allows us to go online to place a book on hold and pick it up at the front desk.

Anyway, 7 weeks is probably the easiest time to bring a baby to the library! Do you have a carrier?  Wear your LO and he/she will zonk out.  I used to put my youngest in the Moby and he'd snooze all through storytime.

• Options
    DD2 has been going to the library with us since she was two weeks old. She does great and has never been scolded for crying. DD1, however, was given a talking to from the security guard when she had a 30 second tantrum. I looked at the guy and said, "Seriously? She's two. Leave her alone." Annoying. But newborns seem to get a free pass to cry :)
  • Options
    My county allows you to check out books for your eReader online and download them at home.  I don't know if that is available all over, but I download audio books to my iPod all the time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

Thanks for the input. I can only reserve books online if they are checked out and I want to have them next.

I've decided that I probably am overthinking it, as a couple posts said- I'm just going to go tomorrow and wear her in the bjorn. If she cries, I will just leave, and if I don't have time to get books- worse things have happened.

It really is a bummer that the community library is not great. I remember the library being such a great place to go when I was little, but the one here is not like that.

• Options
    Liz342Liz342 member
    Lol, just want to say that I thought you meant you pumped, read AND held your baby all at the same time.  I was like wow, how does she do that?!! Lol
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I used to worry about this stuff, too. Now that my LO is older, I don't know why I worried.  Her cry sounded crazy loud to me when she was little, and I remember people saying how she had such a cute newborn cry.  Now I hear newborn cries and I think they are cute and not ear piercing!  But when you have a newborn, I think they sound ear piercing to you.  Do you have a moby?  You could walk around outside until she falls asleep in the moby and then go to the library.  Same for a stroller.  Do they have study rooms?  If she cries, you could quiet her or even nurse her in there.  I agree with OP that you are overthinking this, but I totally understand because I was always terrified of screamapalooza!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageLiz342:
    Lol, just want to say that I thought you meant you pumped, read AND held your baby all at the same time.  I was like wow, how does she do that?!! Lol

I did used to do this! First I'd nurse or give LO a bottle, and then LO would sleep in my lap while I'd pump with a hands free bra and read! Sometimes I'd even pump one side while LO nursed on the other side.  Desperate times...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I took DD3 to story time at 3-4 weeks.  Granted that is kid time, but I think you'd be finre.
  • Options
    imagemrsfirefly:

imageLiz342:

I did used to do this! First I'd nurse or give LO a bottle, and then LO would sleep in my lap while I'd pump with a hands free bra and read! Sometimes I'd even pump one side while LO nursed on the other side.  Desperate times...

I am -so- impressed by people who can pump and nurse at the same time! I would be a hot milk mess.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"