1st Trimester

Is it safe to get a massage in your 1st trimester?

Hello all! This is my first pregnancy and I am about 5 weeks along and am worring about everything! LOL :) I am wondering if it is safe to get a massage at this time... I will call my doctors office on Monday, but am just wondering if anyone knew?

Thanks a bunch!

Re: Is it safe to get a massage in your 1st trimester?

• I've heard others on this board say it is not safe in the first tri as some types of massages may cause miscarriage.

I've heard that pregnancy massages are okay in the second and third trimester though. 

But no personal experience, sorry :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Alot of places don't do them before 2nd trimester because they don't want the liability.It might be okay but i know some Dr.'s don't recommend it. I got 1 done in my second tri. and 1 in my 3rd tri. and they were amazing! I plan to do the same this time around :)
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageGen & Joel:
    Alot of places don't do them before 2nd trimester because they don't want the liability.It might be okay but i know some Dr.'s don't recommend it. I got 1 done in my second tri. and 1 in my 3rd tri. and they were amazing! I plan to do the same this time around :)

All of this. The place I go to is amazing and has a great staff, but they will not do one until you are in your 2nd trimester. I'm hoping to get one for Mother's Day (hint hint DH!), but if not, I still plan on getting one sometime during the summer.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • what kind of massage can cause miscarriage? what is it that does it?

when i first saw this post i was like.. huh? how is this possible.. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Places won't do them during first Tri for liability reasons only, since mc are more common at this time. They don't want someone to blame them
    if you go to someone who knows how to do prenatal massages and as long as you're not sick (massage can make you feel worse), you're fine. There's one place on your heel you're supposed to avoid, and certain scents of massage oil to not use.
    I just got one the other day!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was always told that it is NOT safe in the first trimester.  There are certain pressure points and areas on the body that should not be rubbed or have pressure applied when you are still so early.  I have heard 2nd and 3rd trimester is fine, but it should be a prenatal massage.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • lp0lp0 member
    My girlfriend is a massage therapist and told me that there are spots on the shoulders and ankles that can cause miscarriage. She suggested not to get a massage or pedicure in the first tri and to make sure you go to someone who knows what they are doing in the second and third tri because they can put you into early labor.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• I've heard they do not recommend because of the pressure points, and because of all of the toxins that massages cause your body to release. With DS, I had one in the second and third tri, and I want to this time too! 3 more weeks!
  • :: butts in from TTC board::

Hi!  I work for a national massage organization and my recommendation is no, do NOT get a massage in the first tri.  Massage releases A LOT of toxins into the blood stream that isn't good for new pregnancies.  Avoid them until second tri.  Hope that helps!

:: bows out, but so wishes I belonged here::

<3 Baby #1 BFP 6/10/2011-EDD 2/19/2012-DS Born 2/10/2012!
    :'(  CP BFP 1/6/2013-EDD 9/19/2013-CP 1/9/2013
    <3 Baby #2 BFP 1/3/2014-EDD 9/12/2014 -DD Born 9/10/2014!
    <3 Baby #3 BFP 7/8/2018-EDD 3/17/2019-Team Green!

• Sweetest116, my fellow bichon friend!  Hope to see you on here soon Smile
  • imageSweetest116:

:: butts in from TTC board::

Hi!  I work for a national massage organization and my recommendation is no, do NOT get a massage in the first tri.  Massage releases A LOT of toxins into the blood stream that isn't good for new pregnancies.  Avoid them until second tri.  Hope that helps!

:: bows out, but so wishes I belonged here::

Good luck!!  You'll be on the *month* 2011 moms board soon!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Does this apply also to regular foot massages? I love to have my husband rub my feet.

Photobucket

Anniversary

• I found out I was pregnant a few days ago and I have a trip planned to AZ this weekend.  I am so glad you asked the question about massages bc I scheduled a few in AZ.  How life quickly changes and it's not about you any more...but I will do anything for my bundle of joy.
  • There's definitely a difference in prenatal massage, and regular massage. My doc office has massage therapists on staff there and they INCLUDE three massages with your pregnancy. One for each trimester. I had my first at 10 weeks. If it's a prenatal massage and they know what they are doing you're fine. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"