Stay at Home Moms
Options

Please weigh in - MIL related

Beside annoying me, MIL is a good grandma.  She is good w/ DD.  DD enjoys her.  She is in town.  We went out tonight & she is babysitting. I sent a check in text at 8:55 - no reply yet (an hour & half later).  Texted & called a half hour ago - no answer, no reply.  In my heart, I know DD is probably cozy in bed & she is watching TV - phone in other room. BUT I am livid.  I'm not cool w/ babysitter being totally out of pocket & unavailable.  Am I being crazy or should the lady w/ my kid be accessible via phone?

Re: Please weigh in - MIL related

• Options
    Yeah she should have the phone nearby.  But she's a Grandma.  She's probably not even thinking about it.  I wouldn't get upset with her, just ask her to please keep the phone nearby next time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Not crazy.

- Jena
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Eh she's probably not a technology genius either so I bet the phone is where she can't hear it and she's not even thinking about it. She's probably watching and either loving or hating royal wedding stuff. When you get home, I'd mention it in a non aggressive way and see what she says. Then tell her you just got a little worried so she knows it's important to you.
  • Options
    She is a texting fool - gets no lack of technology skills pass.
  • Options

If she's good with your DD, then I agree with the others, she probably just doesn't have her phone on her and is probably of the mindset that she'll call if there's a problem so no call = no problem in her mind.

Do you have a land-line you could call that she might pick up?

• Options

When my mom watches my boys, she's so focused on them that she doesn't always hear her phone so I could understand how that could happen.  However, I would nicely mention being a little worried when you couldn't get a hold of her.  Then, if she watches her again, remind her when you're leaving :)

Big E (6) & Little E (2.5)
  • Options

imagesusanmosley:
    She is a texting fool - gets no lack of technology skills pass.

I would be pissed. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Are there other phones you can call - like a home phone? If not, then I'd be annoyed. 

• Options
    thanks for the talk down.

• Options
    As someone who frequently leaves my phone in the car, other room, under the sofa... lol... I can see how she may miss the text.  But, I'd also be upset if I were you and want to be alble to get in touch.  I would definitely talk to her about it when you get home but I wouldn't turn it into a fight.  Good luck!
  • Options

imagesusanmosley:
    I am livid.  I'm not cool w/ babysitter being totally out of pocket & unavailable.  

IMO, she's not a babysitter - she's Grandma.  I wouldn't at all be cool with a paid babysitter not being aware of having a phone around.  For me, Grandma would get a pass and I'd casually mention when I got home that I like checking in and next time would she mind keeping it handy. 

DS - June 2009
    DD - February 2011
  • Options
    My mom always leaves her phone in her purse and never hears it. She is my first choice to watch DS though and I know she gives him 100%. I wouldn't be mad, but if it bothered me, I would definitely mention it casually.
    BFP#1 7/09 DS born 3/30/10 BFP#2 5/11 M/C 6/11 BFP#3 9/11 M/C 10/11 BFP #4 5/20/12 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Do you have a home phone?  I know personally I dont carry my cell phone around the house, even when babysitting.  If I hear it ring I'll certainly pick up, but many times if I'm in another room I wont hear it ring. 

If you have a home phone to call, she should def. pick up - most times you can hear a home phone throughout the house - but I personally wouldn't expect her to carry her cell around the whole time - she most likely has her hands full with the baby :) 

• Options

Hey guess what - she did it again the 2nd night.  

Saturday, after we returned from our Friday night outing, we lightly brought it up - I took all the blame, that I am over protective and anxious - we all laughed about it and thought the problem was solved.  Before we went out Saturday, she joked that I would be texting every 20 minutes and she wouldn't hear it because she would be in the other room watching TV.  HAHA - how funny (not really).

So at 9:45 I sent a text, making sure all was well. ** I am sure people think I am crazy here - I am not worried about things if all is going as planned.  I am worried about something weird happening - MIL has some fainting/health spells and I worry about her having an accident and needing help and not having her phone and 2 y/o DD not being able to help.***  And no reply.  45 minutes later, she finally texts, "Sorry. I was busy trying to take care of a 2 year old" - Mind you the text I sent was (on purpose) over an hour after that 2 year old went to bed.  

Luckily for me, she flew home today and we didn't hash it over again.  I just think it is disrespectful.  She can feed my kid crap, keep her up late, do special grandma crap, but PLEASE be available to reply to a simple text once DD is in bed and you are sitting in the living room watching TV.  It isn't that hard. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"