Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Clothing

Hi - let me preface this by saying: I'm a first-time Mama, and thus have no idea what I'm doing. I haven't had my baby yet - I've got about a month and a half left. I've been trying to get ready, but it's not going very well because I don't know what I will need right off the bat. Mostly in the clothes area. I know people say babies grow really quickly, so they won't be in NB clothes very long; and because we decided not to find out the gender no one has given us clothes, so I've been buying boy clothes (we know a lot of people with girls, and I want to be prepared if we have a boy). However, I don't know if I've bought enough or too few NB sized things. I'm a very small person, and my Dr. doesn't expect a baby any larger than somewhere in the 6 lb range. I talked to a girl the other day who said her baby lost some ounces in the first month before he really started gaining weight (which everyone seemed to agree was normal - but I've never heard that), so I don't know how long I should expect my baby to be in NB clothes if they go up to 8 lbs, and 0-3 month clothes start around 7 or 8 pounds. So Mamas, what should I stock my tiny one's dresser with, and how long should I expect to actually be using it?

Re: Clothing

• Really hard to predict how fast each baby will grow.  My first gained weight by the pound, the second by the ounces.  My best advice is to stick to mostly pajamas and keep the tags on and the receipts for most of what you bought.  I made the mistake with my first baby of taking the tags off of everything and washing everything before she came home from the hospital.  She was only 7 lbs 5 oz when she was born and had outgrown all of her newborn clothes in less than 3 weeks.  Total waste (although my second daughter put it all to good use). 

Definitely by 1 or 2 cute outfits for you to enjoy, but newborns really can't handle the overly cute outfits with too many frills.  That stuff is better to save for when they can sit up.  Stick to soft cotton pjs for whatever is appropriate for your climate.

Best of luck!

• DS was 8lbs3oz at birth and was 7lbs7oz when we left the hospital two days later.  Totally normal to lose weight.  He was in newborn clothes for a few weeks.  He's 9 weeks now and starting 3-6 month clothes (he's pretty long).  I'd start with the NB since you don't know the gender and shop for 0-3 when LO get's here.  After a few weeks I went stir crazy and found any excuse to leave the house!  Good Luck!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • For DD's pajamas we had gotten quite a few newborn sized sleep n plays before she was born and those only lasted a few weeks cause she got too long for them. We also had a couple of gowns size 0-6 months and I highly recommend those cause they will last for awhile. We had maybe 15 newborn sized onesies and like 5 "going out" outfits. She was born just over 6 pounds and got back up to her birth weight by the time she was a week old. We didn't worry too much about "public" codes cause I knew in advance that I was going to take her out much those first few weeks anyway. She outgrew newborn stuff when she was a month old. Don't worry too much over it. Nobody expects a babies' clothes to fit perfectly anyway!!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I only have a handful on NB onesies and outfits. But in actuality, I don't care if I have to wash his clothes more frequently until he grows into 0-3.
  • DS was 7 lbs 13 oz at birth and he can stl fit into some of the NB clothes. For sleeping he usually wore the gowns when he first came home since changes were so much easier.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a 6 lb. baby and she's tiny. I didn't buy any NB sizes and 0-3 was just swimming on her (as in: pick her up and the pants just slide right off). Babies may grow fast but they also go through multiple outfits per day -- so don't spend a lot, but stock up! I think I now have seven NB outfits and seven things she sleeps in and do laundry twice a week. She'll probably be in NB at least a month, if not longer.
  • Before having my son I would have said get mostly 0-3 and ot newborn, but he's so skinny I'm so glad we have newborn clothes for him. 0-3 just hangs off him. He is long so he will be out of newborn very soon, but for these first weeks I'm glad we had them.
  • I would say go ahead and get a few newborn sleepers for just in case purposes. We were expecting a 9 lb+ kiddo, so we only had 3 size newborn anything really, he came out 8 lbs 11 oz but he was so damned short that 0-3 just looked goofy on him. He stayed in size newborn for an entire month, and has been going up a clothing size just about every month since I've had him (he's starting to slow down now, thank god, I don't have any size 9-12 clothes yet!)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • *Merry**Merry* member
    It all depends on the baby.  Miss Ellie was born 8lbs 6oz, when we left the hospital she was 7lbs 13oz.  She fit great into newborn onesies and sleepers.  at her two month check-up she was 10lbs 3oz and still wearing short sleeve newborn onesies.  She no longer wears newborn sleepers because they are to short and long sleeve onesies are to short in the sleeve.  She fits great int he Gerber 0-3mon onesies right now.  Carters 3mon are a little big on her still.  Every baby is different but I can say that we really the use out of newborn outfits.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • It totally depends on the baby, but just to give you an idea... my little guy was born a 6 lbs 14 oz and dropped down to 6 lbs 5 oz in his first week. 0-3 stuff looked huge on him when he first got home, and newborn stuff fit perfectly. He fit into NB stuff for his first 5 weeks or so, but now that he's 6 weeks he's definitely outgrowing it (he weighs about 9.5 lbs now).

Keep in mind a couple things: 

- If you're team green, you might get some gender-specific clothing gifts once the baby is born. We were team green, and we barely had any clothes before he was born (all neutral stuff). Now, we have an entire wardrobe of little boy clothes-- almost all of which were gifts from friends and family. People LOVE to buy baby clothes, so don't be surprised if you get some stuff after the baby is born, once they find out whether you had a boy or girl people might just run out and buy clothes for your baby.

- You're not going to need a lot of "outfits" the first month or so, because you most likely won't really be going out too much. Sleepers and onesies are probably the most important. It might be best to get some neutral stuff so you can wash it and put it away now without having to worry about returning it. I'd get a few newborn things, but not too much because they grow so fast! 

• We also didn't buy a lot of NB clothes b/c everyone says not too and we found that we definitely didn't have enough..DS was 7lb14oz @ birth and was up to 8lb2oz in a matter of 5 days...he's still in NB clothes, though we have just started putting him in some 0-3 onsies..I agree with the dresses though... they are the BEST @ night time when you're half asleep changing them & want to change them as quickly as possible so they will not get as upset.

What we ended up doing was just going to Wal-Mart & buying a bunch of the 3-packs of white Gerber onsies both long sleeved & short sleeved... they are fairly cheap and newborns go through so many outfits each day...they spit up on themselves, and if you have a boy, they end up finding random ways to pee on themselves through their diapers.

Married DH 5/28/08
    DS Born 4/13/11
    DD Born 3/38/15

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS was 7lbs 5oz at birth and he's still in mostly NB at 3 weeks. Keep in mind that different brands fit differently. Carter's NB was a little long on him at first, but Gerber 0-3 fit perfectly.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

I never held you, but I always loved you.
    Baby Squirt- September 2009
    Baby Turtle- May 2010
    Baby Surprise- August 2011
  • Keep tags on everything you buy.  You have no idea what will fit and for how long, so it's just better to have the option to return things if needed. 

Also, different brands are sized differently... ie Gerber brand runs very small and so does Carter's.

DD was 6 lbs 6 oz at birth, 5 lbs 14 oz when we left the hospital.  Regained her weight quickly but still was in newborn clothes for a while.  We even had to go buy Gerber brand newborn b/c they were smaller and fit better.

Now at 11 lbs 9 oz and 3 months old, she can wear some 0 to 3 and some 6 month (Carter's) clothes.

• I am very small (5'1" 110pds pp) and DD was 6 pounds 10 oz. She was in newborn for almost 10 weeks. 

Started at the same pp weight with DS and gained about the same. DS was 8 pounds 3 oz and wore NB for 2 weeks. Now in 3-6 month clothing.

Keep the tags and you can always order online (diapers and Amazon mom get you the stuff in 2 days) as needed.  

• I think it varies with each person honestly - for us, we kept hearing we wouldn't need ANY newborn stuff and then 0-3 was swallowing him (and he was almost 8 pounds at birth). I would get at least 5-6 newborn outfits to start (and go ahead and wash). Especially if you have a small baby that will definitely be necessary to have newborn sizes. My DS wore newborn for like a month.
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"