Breastfeeding

Getting out of the house?

I have a ridiculously silly question: around week 6 I'll be heading into the office for a few hours and sometimes I need to run out without the baby or family in tow, leaving my husband to watch over the kids. How do I pull this off? I am renting a hospital pump, but I was told by the LCs there that pumping would make my supply dwindle and I don't want to risk that.

Re: Getting out of the house?

• I just pump in the morning after LO is done eating. It usually takes me two days to get enough to put into a 5 oz bag (I usually have some left over). You could do this and this won't hurt your supply. Then you should have enough available for someone to give to LO while you are out.

I usually try to leave the house right after a feeding and try to get back before she would need to eat again.

• Ah ok! That makes sense. Right now DH gives her a midnight bottle and I pump to get some much needed nipple rest. I was worried doing that nightly would slowly kill my supply. I guess that isn't true?
  • Loading the player...
  • NSLNSL member
    I'm pretty sure you misunderstood the LC.  Long-term pumping can be detrimental to your supply because, as a previous poster said, the pump isn't as efficient as your baby.  As such, your supply will decrease as demand decreases.  Pumping won't "kill" your supply, though, especially the way you describe doing it. 
  • Ah, see I told the LC that I just want to pump and feed one bottle a day so DH can give me a break, but she point-blank said that I'd be sabotaging my supply by doing this.
  • NSLNSL member
    imageJollyGreenGoat:
    Ah, see I told the LC that I just want to pump and feed one bottle a day so DH can give me a break, but she point-blank said that I'd be sabotaging my supply by doing this.
    Then she's either a moron or an assshole. I've pumped for more months than I care to count between my two kids, and my supply is just fine.
  • Haha! :) I'm just really skittish about hurting my supply. I really want to breastfeed this baby instead of EBF like I did for my first daughter. Maybe the LC meant that habitually replacing one feeding with a pumping + bottle would be detrimental? Or is that still moronic?
  • NSLNSL member
    imageJollyGreenGoat:
    Haha! :) I'm just really skittish about hurting my supply. I really want to breastfeed this baby instead of EBF like I did for my first daughter. Maybe the LC meant that habitually replacing one feeding with a pumping + bottle would be detrimental? Or is that still moronic?
    Still at least somewhat alarmist and misleading. By that reasoning I shouldn't be able to sit here and nurse my 5 month old right now because I pump at work 5 days a week. Pumping can negatively affect supply, but not always.
  • Thanks for clearing up my fears :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"