December 2011 Moms

To anyone spotting

If any of you are experiencing spotting and have not already had your progesterone levels checked , you should ask your Dr. to check them soon. I just keep seeing all these posts about spotting . Im not sure if the levels have already been checked by your drs. If not it makes me really mad that Dr dont just check this hormone right away for all expectant mothers. It should be tested in my opinion as soon as you get a BFP. As Im doing more research on this subject its becoming more clear that this should be a routine blood test. I just got put on a progesterone supplement yesterday, so im by no means an expert, but if your spotting or even if your not but just want to know ask your Dr to test your progesterone levels.

Re: To anyone spotting

• I've been taking prometrium daily since 10dpo when I got my bfp. Not even a hint of spotting this time ::knock on wood:: Dr checked my prog levels at 15dpo and it was 37! There's no telling what would have happened to this pregnancy if I didn't have the progesterone. God only knows!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Success After Losses. I carry your <3, I carry it in my <3.</br>
  • Completly agree with you! I really think this was a cause of my first miscarriage. My levels where not being checked. This time my progesterone dropped around the same time I started spotting last time and I made them check my progesterone. Low and behold it had dropped and I was put on suppositories too. This upsets me that it is not being checked for everyone.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageGreenbaby3114:
    I've been taking prometrium daily since 10dpo when I got my bfp. Not even a hint of spotting this time ::knock on wood:: Dr checked my prog levels at 15dpo and it was 37! There's no telling what would have happened to this pregnancy if I didn't have the progesterone. God only knows!

That is wonderful news. I hope it works for me as well. I was having some spotting, but so far none since I took my first pill last night.

• imagejchytil:
    Completly agree with you! I really think this was a cause of my first miscarriage. My levels where not being checked. This time my progesterone dropped around the same time I started spotting last time and I made them check my progesterone. Low and behold it had dropped and I was put on suppositories too. This upsets me that it is not being checked for everyone.

I believe this was the cause of my miscarriage as well. My levels werent being checked, and I was having the exact same type of spotting as this time. Good luck to you! I hope the supplements help us both this time.

• I think part of the problem is that medical studies show conflicting evidence of whether a progesterone supplements will properly prevent a miscarriage.  There are many conflicting medical studies and as such, most doctors aren't quick to prescribe it.

Still, I agree with your post about being pro-active and telling your doctor.  I had my nurse draw my progesterone levels, even though I have no spotting or history of miscarriage, just because I wanted a heads up in case they were looking low.  I knew I had a short LP, so better safe than sorry. 

Married 5-24-2008;
    BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
    My Ovulation Chart 
    BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
    BFP 02-17-2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • While I agree that every patient should be their own advocate and push their doctor to do what is best for them, I do want to reiterate that spotting may or may not = low progesterone. There are many cases of spotting that have nothing to do with progesterone. So for all the women reading this who have spotting, if you feel like it is something that needs to be checked, get it checked, but spotting doesnt always mean you have a hormone problem.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekaraknr:

While I agree that every patient should be their own advocate and push their doctor to do what is best for them, I do want to reiterate that spotting may or may not = low progesterone. There are many cases of spotting that have nothing to do with progesterone. So for all the women reading this who have spotting, if you feel like it is something that needs to be checked, get it checked, but spotting doesnt always mean you have a hormone problem.

I completly agree with you. I just meant that it should be checked in my opinion. Not that it is always the cause of spotting. I believe it was in my case.

• imagedayjessica:
    imagekaraknr:

While I agree that every patient should be their own advocate and push their doctor to do what is best for them, I do want to reiterate that spotting may or may not = low progesterone. There are many cases of spotting that have nothing to do with progesterone. So for all the women reading this who have spotting, if you feel like it is something that needs to be checked, get it checked, but spotting doesnt always mean you have a hormone problem.

I completly agree with you. I just meant that it should be checked in my opinion. Not that it is always the cause of spotting. I believe it was in my case.

Absolutely! I agree, Im on Prometrium as well (though my levels werent even checked she just gave it to me because it couldnt hurt if it was normal and would help if it wasnt). But I could just see 100 women calling their doctors and freaking out thinking that something is major wrong when it may very well be normal. I just wanted to throw that out there:)

• I am on Progesterone (100 mg Endometrin 2x day) and the only spotting I have had was after my first ultrasound (cervical irritation). I know that my P4 runs low (6.5 was my last cycle) so they put me on the supplements right away.
  • Every pregnancy is different.. I miscarried in Febuary. and got a BFP after my first next regular cycle. I spotted so levels were checked my hcg was fine it doubled after 48 hrs but progestrone was low..Dr put me on promentrium 200mg 1x daily..spotting stopped...it is very possible that is what could have caused my M/C..so far so good! it couldnt help to have levels checked but spotting can be caused by many diff. things.
  • Thanks for posting this for others.  I wish I would of known this last pregnancy I dont know if it would of helped at all, but now I will never know.  I agree that they should be checked.
  • imagekaraknr:

I agree. My spotting (and cramping) is related to a large corpus luteum cyst.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• My progesterone was 33.5 at 6w and my first u/s is Wednesday. I am going to ask at my appt to have my levels checked again

Lilypie - (ovfd)

• imagekaraknr:

Ditto this! I get that OP is trying to get others to be proactive, but I think the statement could incite a panic in others...
    That said I had very small spotting last night and this am and my progesterone has already been checked and is fine. There are a lot of other reasons for spotting besides low progesterone.

• I had to be put on prometrium just to conceive because I wasn't producing enough progesterone to ovulate after being on B.C for so many years. I ran out of it last week and I got to thinking, "should I still be taking it even though I'm already pregannt" I had to call my doctor myself and bring up my concern to him and TEN they ordered the blood test for me. I got it done on Thursday and I should hear by Monday what my results are. You have to proactive in your own pregnancy and if you have any concerns ASK! 
  • Ok so this is my first pregnancy so this might sound silly to some, but can they tell what your progesterone level is when they check your beta levels?
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • jchytiljchytil member
    beta check and progesterone check are diffeerent but can be checked with th same blood draw. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"