December 2011 Moms

coworker vent!

So, even though I'm only 6 weeks along all my coworkers know I'm PG because of the work I do, they have to know. 

Anyway, a group of my coworkers and I went and had lunch in the cafeteria at work yesterday and a lot of them were asking questions about my pregnancy and asking if I had though of names, nursery ideas..etc.

Then, out of nowhere this one coworker who I believe has no censor in her dumb little head went on and on about how doing any planning too early is instant bad luck and because I already have a name picked out if its a girl is instantly going to cause me to have a miscarriage. Everyone at the table froze and stared at her and one new mom even told her not to say stuff like that to an expectant mom.

I told her I didn't agree with her and that I'm all about thinking as positively as possible depsite my usual worries. She continued on about how starting the nursery now is bad luck and blah blah blah.

I could feel the adrenaline shooting through my veins and I just wanted to leap across the table and strangle her but ....I'm the boss so I have to be nice.

Why would anyone say that to someone? Im still in disbelief....  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: coworker vent!

• That's horrible!  Could she be trying for a baby with no luck and maybe a bit jealous of your news?  No excuse for that kind of statement.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • I think there may be a jealousy issue there. I haven't even been at my job a month yet and they already promoted me to supervisor and I think that might be where a lot of her issues with me are coming from. I don't let her usual comments bother me too much like the time she questioned whether or not I could do my job, but mama bear inside me wanted to punch her in the face. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagestephers_7:
    I think there may be a jealousy issue there. I haven't even been at my job a month yet and they already promoted me to supervisor and I think that might be where a lot of her issues with me are coming from. I don't let her usual comments bother me too much like the time she questioned whether or not I could do my job, but mama bear inside me wanted to punch her in the face. 

Ridiculous.  She sounds like a real peach. Ignore her rude and insensitive comments. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • I'm sorry you had to go through this. I had something very similar happen with a coworker. I'm a teacher and can't just go to the bathroom when I need to, so I had to tell some people. My coteacher in the afternoon said since I told her at 4 weeks I was likely to miscarry... some people just don't think! She later apologized, as I hope your coworker does, but some people don't think. Remember, her comments mean nothing and have no impact on the outcome of your pregnancy.
  • imagestephers_7:

Why would anyone say that to someone? Im still in disbelief....  

You must have been so shocked! You co-worker sounds like she has no self-awareness at all. What a ding-dong! 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Peeper Summarized
  • That sounds incredibly stupid and insensitive, regardless of how much she believes it to be bad luck.  Any chance she's from a different culture that tends to be more superstitious?  

And I completely do NOT agree it's bad luck.  In my family, we always love to plan ahead and announce pregnancies the minute they are announced.  To put into context, I have a very large old world Catholic family that did not practice birth control.  Countless babies and early planning without one miscarriage among my 7 aunts and uncles and all of their kids who have started having kids. 

My mother even bought us the crib and nursery furniture while we were just trying to conceive. 

Yes, miscarriage happens (to 10%-15% of us).  Planning names or a nursery does not cause it. 

Married 5-24-2008;
    BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
    My Ovulation Chart 
    BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
    BFP 02-17-2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Remember there are always going to be stupid people who don't think before they speak and have no common sense. It's plain to most people that's not something you should tell someone, but some aren't banging on all 4 cylinders. Dismiss it due to her lack of brain power and enjoy your healthy pregnancy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Success After Losses. I carry your <3, I carry it in my <3.</br>
  • If it makes you feel any better my coworker has turned into a raving B*^*^ since finding out that I'm pregnant. Her daughter got pregnant at 16 and she's pretty bitter about the whole ordeal as well as being left to raise the child on her own...She's spent the last month telling me every grisly detail about miscarriage, harassing me and just all around making me seriously consider leaving my job. Tried talking to HR about crazy lady to no avail...have a feeling my walking out is inevitable since everyone telling me to "suck it up" and just get along with her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"