Eco-Friendly Family

The ongoing saga of my cat

(mrsd this was the title I had in my head when I jumped on here so it's funny you said the same thing in your post!)

So we haven't put her down. I swear that I'm not one of "those" pet people who refuse to let their pet go she's just been a super weird case. We had decided on Monday evening that we were going to take her in Wednesday and have her put down since she wasn't improving (with no improvement in sight) and hadn't eaten and we didn't want her to starve to death on her own. The problem is that she just seems so normal despite the not eating. She's clearly off her game but she's still out every night and sitting with us, asking to be petted, sleeping in our or Noel's bed. She just wasn't acting like a cat who was dying (and I know cat's hide it well but still).

Well, we couldn't get her in Wednesday and on a whim Wednesday night I tried syringe feeding her again (she'd thrown up every single time I had tried before that). Well low and behold she kept it down. So Thursday I kept it up and she still didn't throw any up and started getting even perkier. I spoke to the vet Friday morning and she said it sounded promising and to keep giving her fluids and syringe feeding her over the weekend and if she gets worse we know what to do and if she gets better - well we'll just wait and see.

I'm cautiously optimistic. She still doesn't seem that sick and if given the chance she runs outside and eats the grass and rolls around on the ground and she's keeping all the syringe feedings down but at the same time, the underlying cause could still be lurking around if it wasn't a virus that cleared up or something the antibiotics took care of. Plus her liver is not in the best shape and this could turn out to be too little too late but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she feels better and starts eating again on her own and we don't have to have her put down. 

Thanks for all the good thoughts ladies!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: The ongoing saga of my cat

• Seriously, what is up with these cats? I'm glad she's eating some and I hope she's turning around.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • How old is she? I love the photo of her in your siggy!

My mom had a cat that we thought was on the verge of passing for YEARS.  She was blind and couldn't jump up (where her food was) and decided she didn't want cat food anymore and just ate broth and meat baby food for months (or maybe a year?).  Maybe your cat would enjoy something other than what she's eating?  Besides the blindness and eating issue she was still a happy cat and loved her time snuggling with us although she lost tons of weight.  My mom did eventually put her down but it was after she had several siezures and really started to lose it. I hope your cat hangs in there!!   

• Emathis - she's only 6. We have another cat who's 21 and if it had been her, it wouldn't even have been a question but she's just so young and still seemed so normal that it just seemed wrong to have her put down. But up until then it was bad, she's still really jaundiced and not eating on her own but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a little bit longer with this and she'll turn around. Or not and at least we had some more time with her.
  • Oh, and thanks! I think that was from two winters ago when Ariel was still a baby. She would crawl under that gym (where we left it propped up when it wasn't in use) and sprawl out on the register. It was pretty funny.
  • Geez, what a rollercoaster!  I'm crossing my fingers hard she will continue to get better and keep food down. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"