Nurseries and Baby Gear

Nursery

We are trying to figure out what we really need as far as furniture. I am debating between the converter crib and a regular one. This is our first child but hopefully we will have more. I am curious if anyone has suggestions/opinions on this?

Also I have been told that i wont use my changing table. Do I really need one? I think I would but I need experienced advice. What should I really have? Thank you1

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nursery

• We bought a converter crib just because it seems like that is mostly what is out there. However, we don't necessarily think we'll use it as such...we want to have more kids and think it'll get pretty beat up. We did borrow a changing table from a friend so we have one, but think you could simply use the top of a dresser! :) 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We did the convertible crib and we will buy a new one for each LO. That way it can grow with them and you only have to buy a new mattress and maybe rails, depending on the bed.  Instead of buying a crib, toddler bed, and a full/twin bed and frame.  Some people skip right to the full/twin bed, but my daughter loves her converted crib into the toddler bed.  Plus it is familiar to them, because they will be sleeping in the same bed from birth to adulthood really. 

I know a lot of people do not use a changing table, but we bought the dresser/changing table.  Where really it is just a dresser with a removable wood border for the changing pad to go in.  We used it from birth to around 15 months and then finally took the border and changing pad and now it is just her dresser, with some pretty things and lotions and such on top.  We used it everyday for those 15 months and I loved it because clothes, diapers, lotion, wipes were all right there at your level.  And when we have another baby we will use it again as a changing table/dresser. 

I would reccommend:

convertible crib (be careful choosing what stain or color you want because they are going to have it forever)

changing dresser, with pad and cover of course

if you have room either another dresser (can buy later when bigger) or a 9 cube, like closetmaid storage system, whether it is for clothes or books,or toys, it is useful and not super expensive

Also I nice comfy chair and ottoman!  Whehter you breastfeed or bottle feed it is nice to have.  We got a storkcraft rocking glider chair and ottoman it was $180 i think and it is still in really good condition and very comfy still, we moved it into our living room it was so comfy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We specifically looked for a crib that wasn't convertible.  I wouldn't use it for a regular bed anyway.  LO will go from her crib to a twin with guards on the sides.  We will be using the crib for our next LO anyway.  I didn't get a changing table, but did get a changing pad to put on a dresser and we use it for every diaper change.  Basically, in our LO's room we have a tall dresser for clothing (we have a small closet), a rocker/glider/recliner, crib, nightstand, and a short dresser  for cloth diapering supplies with changing pad on top.
    Married 10.27.07
    DD 11.20.10
    BFP #2 8.25.12 M/C 9.3.12
    BFP #3 10.25.13 EDD 7.8.14

BabyFruit Ticker 
  • My son is 17 months old and we still use the changing table, so I do think you need one.  But my advice is to get one that can be a regular dresser later on, rather than one that is just open shelves.  That way it's not just a baby item, but something that can be used for many years.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I found a set (crib, dresser, changing table) for about $250. Get whatever feels right and whatever you think you should have. I would say having a changing table by the crib would be a plus and handy. My set came with a converter crib; I think it will be nice to have as baby gets older. I believe it even turns into a headboard for a twin bed Wink

Good luck!

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • MCH77MCH77 member

I bought a crib that will turn into a toddler bed, but not become an adult bed.  I don't know why, but I am not a big fan of them once they are turned into beds.  But I thought it would be easier to have a bed that grows a little with him (which is why I really wanted the toddler bed feature).

I do not have a changing table, we are using the top of the dresser.  I have several friends that did that and were happy.  I figure it I don't like it (who knows why), than I can by a changing table at that point. 

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"