Working Moms
Options

XP: Daycare vent and snack ideas?

Our daycare provides food for LO but a lot of the stuff on their menu is not stuff I want LO to have. We would like to stay away from dairy and sugar until he's at least a year old and they keep pushing stuff like pizza burgers (hamburg and spaghetti sauce, covered in cheese, on an english muffin), deli meat (Pedi says this is too processed and no infant should be offered this), and sugary jelly on his toast. I don't understand why they would offer any infant these things and they act like we are such weirdo's when we constantly stress that he's not to have these things. Then today, a mother shows up with munchkins for everyone because it's her LO's first birthday, not sure why he's still in the infant room but I'm guessing he's transitioning soon. Why would you bring those in to an infant room?? Anyway, I asked that my son not have any of those and I feel like they think I'm such a PITA.

Am I wrong here? Am I being overly strict??

Last week they told us that we could bring in food for him since they are running out of stuff to give him. I don't understand that, he can have all the vegetables, fruit, cherrios, puffs, crackers, wheat pasta and waffles he wants. How is that not enough stuff? Anyone have any ideas of what I can bring in for him to have other than those things? TIA

After almost 5 years of ttc, 2 miscarriages, one lost tube and IVF, we were blessed with an amazing little boy!! Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage

Re: XP: Daycare vent and snack ideas?

• Options

It is definitely your decision and if you dont want him to have that food then day care should not give you a hard time about it.

But I also dont think it is fair that you expect your day care to make a different meal/snack for your child than the one they are making for all the other kids. If I didnt like what was on the menu that day I would just make something at home and bring it into school.

My day care handles all the food (and I admit, I am pretty lax in that area and let them have whatever is being provided), but at our old day care when I provided the food -along with the things you mentioned I would give them- grilled chicken, cheese, ravolis, meatballs, yogurt, things like that.

Good luck!

• Options

I think you're aloud to be strict about your child's diet at this age. I do hope you get more flexible when they get to school age but I completely agree with where you're at now. 

Looking at the list of things you have them giving him there is a stark lack of protein, which is a very important food group. You could send yogurt, cheese or peanut butter and they could give those things with the grains they're already offering. My boy loves meat too, so if you could find some healthy meats that you're comfortable with that might make them feel better that he's getting enough. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You are not wrong.  There's no way I would give my infant that junk food.  My DD is only 8 months so she's not eating anything other than what you mentioned except for yogurt.  I would definitely just send your own food.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I run into a similar problem but because Keira has allergies to milk and eggs.  We just bring her food.  You can't expect the daycare to provide special things for your child.  If you want something else, you need to provide it.
  • Options
    Our daycare didn't provide food for infants under 1 year, and after reading your post, I'm glad!  Just send what you want him to eat and tell him that's all he gets.
  • Options

imagevmm0016:
    I run into a similar problem but because Keira has allergies to milk and eggs.  We just bring her food.  You can't expect the daycare to provide special things for your child.  If you want something else, you need to provide it.

That's the thing, they DO provide these foods! They have been feeding him all that stuff since the beginning and now want him to move onto the cafeteria menu that all the other bigger kids get. I'm not sure why he couldn't stay on the fruits and veggies he has been eating all along until he's a year, that's all.

After almost 5 years of ttc, 2 miscarriages, one lost tube and IVF, we were blessed with an amazing little boy!! Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • Options
    I am right there with you! We moved and my daughter had to start a new daycare. They serve cr@p.... We are on a waitlist for a daycare in a hospital who's menu is done by a nutritionist. I'm a dentist at a health center and all day long I see 2-3 year olds with severe tooth decay! Then I leave work and pick up my daughter and see they think chocolate chip cookies or cake are acceptable snacks for a 12 month old! Just drives me nuts!!! Obviously I know a lot of their decay is also due to juice/milk habits etc but I really believe that exposing kids to all these sugary snacks causes them to 'seek' it out more. If they never tasted a chocolate chip cookie... They won't know what they are missing out on (at least for now!) We just provide meals for my daughter the days we don't like their food. They kinda think we are nuts too when we do it. She's my daughter and I understand kids will be exposed to all this cr@ppy food... But why start them so young!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I didn't have this issue in DD's infant room, but rather when she was in a 2's room. OMG - the food was alwful. Cheetos with lunch. And then I found out that per state law, the care providers are NOT allowed to deny a child food, so if they choose to only eat cheetos at lunch and nothing else and ask for more, they must give more. this was just one of the key reasons we pulled DD out and went with a nanny after #2 arrived.
  • Options

Yes, they think you are an overly conscious weirdo.  Welcome to the club.  People feed their infants some AWFUL stuff. 

Just send your LO food.  We usually send some type of chicken (usually grilled or baked) with a veggie.  His snack is usually organic yogurt and fruit.  We will also send a half a bagel thin or a homemade muffin for him to munch on (at this age, it is hard to tell what their appetite will be from day to day, you know?).  Breakfast is usually organic oatmeal and some type of fruit.  The other kids eat garbage - like barbeque chips (I am not making this up).  For munchies, we send Gerber cookies, cheerios and crackers.  They clearly think we are crazy, and I don't think we are THAT healthy.

I agree with you, but I also agree with them.  If you don't like the food, send your own.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"