Natural Birth
Options

protein in urine

Had an OB appt earlier today and all went well except slightly elevated levels of protein in my urine. The Dr said that since I was not having any other symptoms like blurred vision, cramps, swelling, and my blood pressure was normal, it was okay. He didn't really explain what caused this and what, if anything, I should do. I've looked it up online and seen it could be a sign of preeclamsia, which scares me.

Anyone else had this? How do I make the protein level drop or is it even possible? What causes this? Is it something I can control? Will it lead to more problems?

I'm doing co-care with a midwife and planning a homebirth. My midwife mentioned that I need to drink more water at my last appt with her. Could this be related?

Thanks in advance

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: protein in urine

• Options

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! 

I had it both pregnancies, but with #1 it was PIH and this time I only had it once and it was probably from dehydration.  My midwife said this can happen with morning appts too b/c it's still in your urine, so I made sure to drink a lot to flush it out (I was a VBAC so didn't want a hint of PIH again).

DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I can't say for sure if water intake has anything to do with it, but I have been drinking tons and make sure I drink ~40 oz before each appointment and I haven't had any protein in my urine. But I also have just rolled out of bed at 730 for an 8 am appointment and haven't had an issue either.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had it once during the last pregnancy and it was due to dehydration.  Just drink some water and I bet if you retested you would be fine.  :)

• Options

I agree with taking in lots more water but also following the Brewers Diet in pregnancy has shown to eliminate or reduce symptoms of Pre-e (but also helps grow healthy weight babies).  It recommends besides other things to take in at least 65-80 grams of protein a day. Cottage Cheese has a lot. I have some more info on it if you'd like or you can research it yourself.

SAHM of fabulous twin girls, a Hypnobabies intact son, wife to my high school sweetheart. Birth junky and Childbirth Educator. Trying to stay present in the moment in a very busy life!
  • Options

I did once at 37 weeks and I am almost positive it was because I had a deep tissue massage the day before. The reason they worry about protein in the urine is that it can be a sign of endothelial tissue breakdown (ie, blood vessels) which happens in the placenta in pre-eclampsia. A deep tissue massage also causes endothelial damage, the waste products (proteins) of which are also cleared out through your urine.

They had me do a 24 hour urine collection and come back for blood pressure monitoring but everything was fine.

Moral of the story: don't get a massage the day before a MW appointment.

The poster formerly known as PDXPhotoGrl
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"