Attachment Parenting
Options

Relactating

Hi ladies! I usually post on the PAL board but some of them said a couple of the ladies here might be able to help. Its a really long story, but I'm left with trying to decide if I can relactate. I checked and I can still express a very small amount of milk still. Its been about 2 months since I stopped pumping. If anyone has any tips or suggestions on how to go about doing this, I would love to hear anything you can offer me! Also, for those who successfully relactated, were you able to breastfeed again, or did you have to exclusively pump? Thank you so much in advance!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Babywearing, cloth diapering, formula and breastmilk feeding, still can't believe I'm a mom, momma to my little man, two furbabies, and two angel babies.

Re: Relactating

• Options

I am in the middle of relactating one of my breasts that I was unable to feed off of for a couple months due to a bout of MRSA. I have apparently been a huge learning experience for my LC's so any questions you have, feel free to ask.

I had been doing a combo of oatmeal, flax, fenugreek, and dark beers, along with pumping for a while, which my lactating breast really responded to, but not as much on the breast I was trying to relactate. So, I talked to my LC and she talked to my OB and they prescribed me Domperidone. I would have rathered not use drugs to relactate, but I have been responding well to it. I have dropped the fenugreek for now, but am continuing to eat oatmeal and flax for breakfast and having a dark beer most nights. It takes up to 6 weeks to see the full results of the Domperidone, but I am already starting to see some results (3-ish weeks after starting). It may be something for you to consider. It is a drug used widely in Europe for relactating, and is used in the US, just not as much. The only place I was told that does not use it for that purpose is Canada, not sure why, though.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask me, I am anxious to share my journey and help other women in theirs Smile 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Oh, and might I add that I am starting to breastfeed off the relactating breast at the beginning of most of my DS's meals, so I see no reason why, if you can successfully relactate, you wouldn't be able to breastfeed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you so much!!! I definitely will come to you if I have any questions along the way! It makes me really happy to hear a success story:)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Babywearing, cloth diapering, formula and breastmilk feeding, still can't believe I'm a mom, momma to my little man, two furbabies, and two angel babies.
  • Options

It is definitely a challenging experience, but definitely worth it IMO. It was especially worth it to me because DS did not respond well to formula of any kind, even the hypo allergenic kind!

I would definitely suggest starting your body off gently with Oatmeal and pumping, and lots of skin to skin contact with your LO. Then after a while, add in something like fenugreek, or if you want to be more aggressive, just see if your Dr will prescribe you Domperidone. I would also highly recommend building a relationship with a LC and working closely with her. They are a great source of information and I don't know where I would be without mine! I can't tell you how many times I have called her in tears because I was feeling hopeless. 

• Options
    imagescrh2010:

It is definitely a challenging experience, but definitely worth it IMO. It was especially worth it to me because DS did not respond well to formula of any kind, even the hypo allergenic kind!

I would definitely suggest starting your body off gently with Oatmeal and pumping, and lots of skin to skin contact with your LO. Then after a while, add in something like fenugreek, or if you want to be more aggressive, just see if your Dr will prescribe you Domperidone. I would also highly recommend building a relationship with a LC and working closely with her. They are a great source of information and I don't know where I would be without mine! I can't tell you how many times I have called her in tears because I was feeling hopeless. 

Wow, we must have the same child! We've even tried prescription formula and he throws that up too. We are having some luck on soy, but I would prefer he gets breastmilk now that we know that wasn't the cause of his reflux and weight gain issues. I'm lucky that I have a LC right down the road. She is really great. I have to schedule an appointment with my dr anyways to change other meds I'm on, so I will probably ask about a prescription. I hate to do it that way, but I don't have a lot of frozen milk left. I probably have a month left if I use it exclusively, but I can extend it another month if I mix it with the soy. Thank you so much for your support!!
  • Options
    My pleasure! I am always around if you need help (I WAH) You will probably need to mix it since I am still getting 2oz at each pumping with just the Domperidone and oatmeal. But to give you a reference, when I first started, I was pumping about 1/8oz from that breast or less at each pumping session. Though the more you pump, the more fresh milk you can give him with each meal. Have you also ruled out food allergies? I had to be dairy free for a while, though it seems R has finally outgrown his sensitivity to milk protein in my bm.
  • Options

No direct experience, but  I have read somewhere about using a SNS as well, since then your LO can help to stimulate your milk production as well.

Good luck!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    imagescrh2010:
    The only place I was told that does not use it for that purpose is Canada, not sure why, though.

That's not actually true- I was on domperidone for lactation and I'm in Canada. I was told that it is not used in the USA for that purpose and that Reglan is more commonly used. I wound up selling my leftover domperidone to an American who was unable to get it prescribed.

• Options
    imagescrh2010:
    The only place I was told that does not use it for that purpose is Canada, not sure why, though.

That's not actually true- I was on domperidone for lactation and I'm in Canada. I was told that it is not used in the USA for that purpose and that Reglan is more commonly used. I wound up selling my leftover domperidone to an American who was unable to get it prescribed.

• Options
    imageSusieQ1982:
    imagescrh2010:

Wow apparently the US and Canada need to communicate better haha

It was really easy for me to get my OB/GYN to prescribe it to me after she spoke with my LC and apparently they generally will prescribe it to you. The only thing was I had to go to a compounding pharmacy to get the prescription filled because they are the only ones in my area who have it, and they make it on site. I know not all doctors will prescribe it, though, which is probably what the American you sold yours to was dealing with. It is weird how much conflicting information is out there! Even from a pharmacist (who I got my information from) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"