Attachment Parenting

NAPR: bringing up danger diet with my dad and FI

My dad has been having issues with his blood pressure, it has been everywhere. He promised me that they were going to clean up their grocery shopping and stop all the processed food and sugars and such.

Today I was over seeing my dad and they had brought a bag full of processed food home: sugary cereals and chips. His FI explained that they had cupons so they had to get them and that they were starting the master clense tommorow for 10 + days (it is the one where you just drink salt water and a drink made from lemon juice, cayenne, and syrup). So they would not eat any of this tell after that. She was so proud of herself that they were going on a 10 day diet for my dad and they would lose weight.(not get healthy...lose weight)

I asked them if they had consulted a doctor and she answered "No, my dad did this and lost TONS and TONS of weight so fast. It sounds great and so it must be safe since his doctor recommended it to him a long time ago." REALLY?!

The doctor told my dad to change his eating habits and eat healthy...I am just really scared about him not eating anything at all for 10 days with iffy blood sugar and not consolting a doctor. Her dad could be different, the info could be outdated, it could be really bad with his blood sugar and make him crash. Who knows, maybe it is good.

All I know is that he has been having major blood sugar issues and he is not changing his diet, just going on a fast for 10 days. I am not saying this is safe or not (I don't know) I just want him to cheack with a doctor. Is there a way to bring it up to them without seeming to nosey...he is my dad aferall and I'm worried he is only doing it because his FI told him to.

Advice?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

Re: NAPR: bringing up danger diet with my dad and FI

• Ugh. SIL did that and got crazy sick. She was dehydrated and her blood sugar was all out of whack.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • That diet sounds like a bad idea for anybody, but especially bad for somebody with blood sugar issues already.

I am not sure how to bring it up... but I would be inclined to check in often if he ends up doing it. Can you have him see a nutritionist or something? I just think diets are such a fine line... for example weight watchers is great, and really worked for my friend, but for me it would have put me at the low end of my actual caloric needs for my weight.

Also... she sounds like the issue. Maybe if you find a way to take the work out of a good few weeks (meal planning, shopping lists, coupons...) then you can push something better.

And sometimes our parents need to be left to be adults that mess up their lives. But then again I wrote off my mother a long time ago. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Coming from someone with a B.S. in Nutrition...that diet is not a diet!  It is a scam and was invented by Stanley Burroughs who was charged with murder because one of his "patients" died (in California in 1984).  He was also charged with practicing medicine without a license.  It can cause electrolyte imbalances as well as labile BS's.  I would highly advise against it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yea, I knew it was a bad idea. I would never do it. His FI told me I should. I looked at her like she was crazy and said I was breastfeeding and even if I wsa not it would not be good for me. I'm a big advocate in just eating healthy whole foods.

I was really helping he would just get healthy and not go on an extreme thing. Indifferent   My dad is not the most sensible man when it comes to stuff. I asked him last night if he would check his blood sugar everyday at least, and to PLEASE see a doctor. But as pp said think he will have to make his own mistake.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• i have done that cleanse before, but i omitted the salt water flush because a) i couldnt stomach the salt water and b) i tried it once and it was AWFUL.

i wouldnt recommend it for anyone with health problems though without first consulting a physician

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"