Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

NTR: If you own a Toyota Prius or other fuel efficient car

With gas approaching $4/gallon here, I'm thinking of getting a new car (well, will probably go pre-owned, but new to me), and want something that is extremely fuel efficient. I have a Saturn Aura, and while the gas mileage isn't horrible, its not great either.

If you have a Toyota Prius, do you like it? If you have another VERY fuel efficient car, please recommend it.  

I can't believe the prices of gas! My coworker told me she has a friend in the Pittsburgh area that paid $5.09/gallon at the pump yesterday. I also heard on the news they are expecting it to go as high as $6 by the end of summer! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NTR: If you own a Toyota Prius or other fuel efficient car

• Options

My DH's uncle has the Prius and loves it! My MIL is going to need a new car soon because she had hers since I first met DH back in High School and plans to buy one.

My DH has a Honda Fit and I have an Envoy. So his car is our fuel efficient car! I love how roomie it is being a hatchback, it drives nice, and is also great one gas! My other favorite thing is with all the windows there is really no blind spot. We bought it new when DD was first born so it is about 3 years old.

Addison Elizabeth
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Carter James
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We have a Honda Civic Hybrid and really like it. It is an '03 and we recently had to have the starter clutch replaced ($1500) but in 8 years that is the only repairs we've had to do beyond the normal oil change/maintenance.

That said, if your main reason for buying a fuel efficient car is to save money you would have to drive quite a bit to recoup the initial cost. You may want to run the numbers to make sure it makes sense. If you're in the market for a new car anyway, and can find a good deal (buy used?) it may definitely be worth it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I drive a Honda civic and while it is a 2004 it still gets great gas milage! It's not hybrid/Prius gas milage but is still very good! I also have never had any problems with it, great car!
  • Options
    We own a camry hybrid, and we love it.  It's certainly not as fuel efficient as the prius, but we wanted something larger with 2 kids.  it averages about 35 MPG, and if you drive a lot of backroads you can average 40 MPG.  we love it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    image&nbspimage
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I didn't read PP but I love my pruis.  Trunk space is limited and my big stroller fits but only barely and at a wierd angle- I'm a little concerned about a double fitting back there.  But I love everything else about it :)
  • Options
    I have a 2004 Prius with 87000 miles on it. I love it and have since I got it new. I've never had any major repairs on it. Right now I'm averaging 44 mpg but in summer I get closer to 48 mpg. It's plenty big for me. I can easily fit two car seats in the back and still have all my legroom. DD's Uppababy stroller fits in the hatch. I'm thinking of waiting until next spring to upgrade either to the Plug-in Prius or the new smaller Prius c that is coming out. I just use it as a commuter car and drive about 20 miles a day with it.
  • Options
    I have a 2008 civic hybrid and love it.
  • Options

I also have an '04 Prius and LOVE it. I have 3 carseats in the back- an infant bucket and 2 RF convertibles. One of the seats is a SKJP Radian, so it does compromise passenger seat legroom but when I don't have it installed it's fine. I also have a Combi Cocorro, and had 2 Recaro's in the past and I can put the front seats all the way back without touching the restraints.

With the hatch, I have plenty of storage space although I rarely use a stroller and never a double. I have plenty of space to have a picnic bag (blanket, 2 shovels, 2 buckets), a swim bag (4 swim suits, 2 small towels, swim diapers, sunscreen, hats, sunglasses), extra clothes (2 outfits for each kid and half a dozen pair of underpants), a small cooler, a basket of toys, a travel potty, and still have space to change the baby's diaper in the hatch. Other than my purse and some mail, my front seat is empty so there really is a lot of space back there!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"