Special Needs

Medications as seizure triggers?

DS is on Cefdinir (antibiotic), Prednisone, Flovent, Albuterol and his usual Keppra this week. He has had 3 seizures, the second two today which is 48 hours since we upped the Keppra dose after his first seizure.

Anyone know if any of these drugs can trigger seizures or raise the threshold?

Thanks. 

Re: Medications as seizure triggers?

• As an epileptic myself, who has had contact with others who suffer from seizures, I have found very few people who take Keppra long term due to it's ineffectiveness.  Of course, every individual reacts differently to medication and children may be different, but I thought I would at least mention this.

Personally, I have taken Prednisone and Albuterol without incident...

Good Luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is there any way you can email/call  the neuro or pedi to ask?  I don't know about those meds specifically, but I was told benedryl, was off limits for DD as it can lower seizure threshold. I hope that you can get some answers & your LO feels better soon.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, ladies. We are hoping to get in to see an epilepstologist this week. He also has an EEG this week, so hopefully we will get some answers.

Thank God, no seizures today! Yay!! 

• DS just got over Bronchiolitis a few weeks ago.  He was on Predisone & Albuterol along with Keppra.  He did not have any seizures during this time but it could be that everyone reacts different to medications.  Good luck with the EEG and I hope he stays seizure free!
  • Is it possible that LO has an allergy to one of the medications? A good friend of mine (adult)  has seizures when she comes in contact with a specific medicinal ingredient (she's reacted to some herbal stuff!). Just another option to explore. Hope you can get into the epileptologist soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"