Preemies

36 weeker and iron supplements at 5/6 months?

Ok, so I've read that full term babies don't need additional iron until 6 months and then can get it through food, but babies build their iron stores in the last trimester and my LO missed out on 1/3 of that. I'm not ready for her to start solids and she isn't either (can't sit up, still has tongue thrust, etc, and I don't want to introduce them until 6 months+ for various reasons) so I bought some of the vitamin drops but she really won't take them. Plus, I work full time and BF when home with her so I have a hard time figuring out how to give them to her in a bottle since I don't want to give bottles at home in order to maintain my supply. Is it ok to put the drops in a bottle and send it to daycare or should it be given right away? I'm worried that I'll just be ruining a bottle of milk that she won't eat and then she'll be hungry and short one bottle.

Any tips? I was mildly anemic during pg and took iron supplements so sometimes I worry that she's been low on iron all along and I haven't done enough....

Re: 36 weeker and iron supplements at 5/6 months?

• In the NICU we were told to give it in a very small bottle - 10-20ccs to ensure he took it all.  The bad part was it tasted worse, but at least it wasn't much to drink.  I'd probably put it in an ounce or two and then at least you wouldn't waste a whole bottle if she won't drink it.  I'd send it to daycare too.
  • imagekar5162:
    In the NICU we were told to give it in a very small bottle - 10-20ccs to ensure he took it all.  The bad part was it tasted worse, but at least it wasn't much to drink.  I'd probably put it in an ounce or two and then at least you wouldn't waste a whole bottle if she won't drink it.  I'd send it to daycare too.

ditto.  We put the vitamins mixed with 15-30 mL of milk (so 1/2-1 oz) and gave it to him before his bottle, that way he was so hungry he didn't even care that it tasted off and didnt' realize it before he sucked down 1/2 oz.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies! Gave it a shot and she took it pretty well this time. Fingers crossed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"