Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Side sleepers and swaddling?

LO is a side sleeper- we've been placing her on her back from day 1 and she rolls herself to the side every time. We've only been home two days, and had been blanket swaddling her until now- she usually wiggled her arms out but it didn't seem to bother her. Last night she wad really fussy and I pulled out a swaddleme, wondering if she needed more confinement. She was fine in it until we put her down and she couldn't be on her side. Do you swaddle your side-sleeper, and if so, how? I want to do it if it will help her, but she's pretty intent in sleeping on her side!
imageimage
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DD born 4/25/11
m/c 8/10/13 at 5.5 weeks
missed m/c 4/15/14 at 11.5 weeks, D&C 4/17/14
BFP 6/22/14, Scheduled c/s 2/23/15, It's a Girl!!  

Re: Side sleepers and swaddling?

• My LO rolls herself to the side also, and when I put her in a SwaddleMe, she fusses and tries to break out of it. She can't turn to her side in it and that frustrates her, so she won't sleep at all. I usually end up swaddling her with her hands out and she seems pretty content that way.
  • luvdv8luvdv8 member
    When DD1 was in the hospital the nurses would swaddle her and then roll a receiving blanket up really tight and wedge it under her (she was a preemie and had some reflux/vomiting issues). DD2 is a side sleeper as well and I've use that trick at home and she sleeps really well.
    Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO was a side sleeper too until one night I heard him fussing and looked, and he had rolled onto his tummy despite being bolstered and had scooted his way up the crib, presumably trying to get back over.  I haven't let him sleep on his side since.  He can roll onto his side on his own, but I stopped swaddling and put him in a Grobag and he can't roll over as easily.  I know he's more comfy on his side (reflux) but it's not worth the risk of him suffocating IMO.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son prefers to sleep on his side when in his crib. We only swaddle him when he is fussy. When we put him down swaddled I wedge rolled up receiving blankets in front of him. He can roll to his back if he wants, but won't land on his face while swaddled. Flame away, but I'm much more concerned that he get good, restful sleep than I am about SIDS. SIDS is scary, but I'm not going to force him to sleep in a way he hates day in and day out because of a very small risk.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • My little guy has also been sleeping on his side since day 1. I remember being shocked in the hospital when we put him down on his back and he somehow managed to turn to his side.

We've never put him in a full swaddle... the nurses in the hospital told us to swaddle him with his arms out so that's what we do... he hates to have his arms confined. We usually put him in the Halo Sleep Sack with his arms out. I always put him down on his back but he often turns over on his side.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We swaddle with arms out - half the time she ends up turned on her side, half the time she stays on her back.

Caitlin 4.17.11     Madeline 10.20.13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"