Breastfeeding

Playing with the nipple - normal?

D is just over a week old, and generally nurses like a champ every 2-3 hours or so.  Over the last few days he's decided that during some feedings, he'd rather play with my nipple for the first 5 minutes before deciding to latch on, and then he eats for a shorter period of time.  I called him a "bad highschool boyfriend" the other day - he chews the nipple, spits it out, pulls it with his finger, flicks it with his tongue, and does all this over and over again before he decides to eat.  It seems to be happening more frequently.  Is this normal behavior, or is he too distracted?  I normally wouldn't mind much but both nips are pretty sore right when he latches, and it's not pleasant when he clamps down and lets go several times before a feeding.

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Playing with the nipple - normal?

• DD does this when she's not really hungry.  She'll lick it if she'd rather not eat and grab and pull (ouch, I might add) if she has a burp to get out or wants to do something else.  When she was younger I'd always have to have her in a swaddle to nurse because she'd scratch them, too.  Now she'll latch instantly when she's hungry and doesnt tear me up so much so she can nurse without the swaddle :-}
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Glad to know I'm not alone.  I tend to stick him on the boob any time he gets antsy or moves around a lot, I guess I need to try other things first (holding him, changing diaper, etc) instead of always assuming that he's hungry.  Thanks!  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLittleDelany:
    Glad to know I'm not alone.  I tend to stick him on the boob any time he gets antsy or moves around a lot, I guess I need to try other things first (holding him, changing diaper, etc) instead of always assuming that he's hungry.  Thanks!  :)

I always assume LO is hungry first, I need to get out of this habit too. Even when she`s rooting, sometimes I`ll put her on and she doesn`t want it. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think it helps to remember the world is still brand new to them, so they're exploring, too. Liam, the goofball, seems to think things like, "if this works in my mouth, how about my eye? my nose?" *head shake*

He totally likes to unlatch then fall asleep with my nipple in his eye socket. Goof. Ball. Does anyone else's baby clench their fists and make the angry Klingon baby face while nursing like you've starved them? I just think I have a goofy baby... But, then, look at his parents. 

I totally wish there were an appropriate place to post hilarious breastfeeding videos. I could crack up laughing all day at Liam, and I'm sure everyone else's LO's are just as amusing.

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• J has taken to licking and smiling at the nipple if he isn't really hungry. He was doing it this morning and it cracked me up. I have been thinking the toddler gymnastics I have heard about are maybe a reason in themselves to nurse past a year.

J also has a tendency to scratch and punch and scream at the breast. Your LO may figure that letdown is faster if he preps it?  

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket Photobucket
  • imageshaindelr:

I think it helps to remember the world is still brand new to them, so they're exploring, too. Liam, the goofball, seems to think things like, "if this works in my mouth, how about my eye? my nose?" *head shake*

He totally likes to unlatch then fall asleep with my nipple in his eye socket. Goof. Ball. Does anyone else's baby clench their fists and make the angry Klingon baby face while nursing like you've starved them? I just think I have a goofy baby... But, then, look at his parents. 

I totally wish there were an appropriate place to post hilarious breastfeeding videos. I could crack up laughing all day at Liam, and I'm sure everyone else's LO's are just as amusing.

David TOTALLY does this.  And I know by the weight of his dirty diapers that I am certainly NOT starving him :)

• Kinsley does this when she is full.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"