Breastfeeding

BFing - 4 day old - latch/etc - ?s

I was having some pain when DD latched on, to where both my nips started looking a little bloody (tho I never saw them bleed) and sore - and just the tips, so I knew she wasn't getting a deep enough latch.

So I went to a LC at the hospital yesterday ($75 for a visit! oy) and she watched and weighed her after each time and she was getting the perfect amt for her age.. she was just concerned about her latch. So we worked on that, got tips, etc. She also recommended Polysporin and gave me some nipple domes to keep them air-dried. 

She called my DD a 'barracuda baby'.. she is incredibly strong and just a voracious little eater. Yay for me!  

My ? is - if I do all she says - how long should I expect healing??? I don't want to have this go on for a whole month or anything. I'm simply not a trouper like that! 

My milk came in last night, and I was soooo full and she wasn't draining them enough that I did pump a bit. I got almost 1 oz total. 

Was pumping not a good idea? I don't want to risk any clogged ducts (and hand expressing is awkward and I could never manage it w/my first baby)... but I also don't want to mess w/my supply so soon. 

Re: BFing - 4 day old - latch/etc - ?s

• It took a couple days with a nipple shield and pumping instead of breastfeeding for my cracked nipples to heal. Try to air them out and use a good nipple cream... I also have a "barracuda baby" and although she hasn't made me bleed again, it's still painful when she latches on. I made DH put a clean finger in her mouth so he understood a little of what I'm going through!!

I was engorged for a day and then they went back to a semi-normal size... I think it's fine you pumped, I just wouldn't pump them dry - just a bit for your comfort. Baby has a hard time latching onto you when you are engorged, my LC said it's like baby is trying to suck on a basketball so you might see the pain let up in the next couple days when LO can latch better. Good luck :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • just be careful pumping too soon. because that will just increase your supply. If you feel really full and engorged- put warm washcloths over your breasts and let them leak a little in the sink.

hand expressing can be a little awkward-  but it is really helpful. I find it is easiest to do in the shower. give it another shot. I had a hard time doing it with my first too.

CONGRATS!!!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • kat81kat81 member
    imagekgail11:

I was having some pain when DD latched on, to where both my nips started looking a little bloody (tho I never saw them bleed) and sore - and just the tips, so I knew she wasn't getting a deep enough latch.

So I went to a LC at the hospital yesterday ($75 for a visit! oy) and she watched and weighed her after each time and she was getting the perfect amt for her age.. she was just concerned about her latch. So we worked on that, got tips, etc. She also recommended Polysporin and gave me some nipple domes to keep them air-dried. 

She called my DD a 'barracuda baby'.. she is incredibly strong and just a voracious little eater. Yay for me!  

My ? is - if I do all she says - how long should I expect healing??? I don't want to have this go on for a whole month or anything. I'm simply not a trouper like that! 

My milk came in last night, and I was soooo full and she wasn't draining them enough that I did pump a bit. I got almost 1 oz total. 

Was pumping not a good idea? I don't want to risk any clogged ducts (and hand expressing is awkward and I could never manage it w/my first baby)... but I also don't want to mess w/my supply so soon. 

You might have been sarcastic to say "yay for me" about the baracuda baby but believe me the opposite problem is REALLY, really bad as well (I won't say it's worse without experiencing both, but imagine feeding sessions lasting 90+ minutes and your baby having issues gaining weight.)

When I had cracked nipples from a poor latch, they healed within a week. But I didn't have a barracuda! ;-) I hope you can heal quickly. I liked the gel pad thingies, I think from medela. A nurse at the hospital also recommended putting a diaper in cold/icy water and then wearing it on your boob. It felt SOOOO good.

Pumping to relieve pain/pressure is ok. But don't go pump crazy as you could end up with oversupply. Use your instincts and I'm sure it will work out. GL! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"