Eco-Friendly Family
Options

BLW, now with teeth!

So, we've been doing quasi-BLW with some purees thrown in for variety.

If I give her a big hunk of food, like a quarter of a small apple (the Gil Rapley pamphlet said "fist sized"), she will CHOW on the apple, either trying to fit the entire thing in her mouth at once or trying to take giant bites out.

Before she had teeth I didn't really worry about her getting too much at once, since her gumming wasn't very effective. Now that she has teeth her little mouth is totally stuffed like a chipmunk with what seem like too-big pieces for the whole meal.

If I give her small bite size peices to pick up, she'll stuff them all in her mouth at once, but they're easier to cough up since they're small.

She hardly ever gagged before, and now that she's got these big old hunks in her mouth there's more coughing than before. Are my pieces too big?

Anyhow, I guess my question is: Did you make any changes to the way you size food peices for BLW when your LO got teeth?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BLW, now with teeth!

• Options

I guess my question is: Did you make any changes to the way you size food peices for BLW when your LO got teeth?

Yeah, we did. I guess it "goes against" BLW philosophy to do that, but B didn't/doesn't get anything that he could truly choke on (like raw apple, carrot, celery stick, etc.) since he has a tendency to not chew things thoroughly, anyway. I cut things into small pieces and have to give them to him INDIVIDUALLY or else he just scoops everything into his hot little hands and shoves it all in his mouth at once. Boys. Perhaps your darling will be more dainty about things :)

• Options
    imageSoyager:

I guess my question is: Did you make any changes to the way you size food peices for BLW when your LO got teeth?

Yeah, we did. I guess it "goes against" BLW philosophy to do that, but B didn't/doesn't get anything that he could truly choke on (like raw apple, carrot, celery stick, etc.) since he has a tendency to not chew things thoroughly, anyway. I cut things into small pieces and have to give them to him INDIVIDUALLY or else he just scoops everything into his hot little hands and shoves it all in his mouth at once. Boys. Perhaps your darling will be more dainty about things :)

this.  100%  

If I don't give L 1 thing at a time, he shovels EVERYTHING he can into his mouth.  My husband may be a fire/medic but yeah, I don't want him to work on my son.  :/

I will take things, like meats, and kind of crumble them up a little with my fingers and give it to him, too. 

I probably don't do a lot of what's considered "BLW", since it's a bit modified. :P  But it is what works with us.  We also started out with purees because he wouldn't gum food AT ALL for a long time. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemrs.a.butler:
    imageSoyager:

this.  100%  

If I don't give L 1 thing at a time, he shovels EVERYTHING he can into his mouth.  My husband may be a fire/medic but yeah, I don't want him to work on my son.  :/

I will take things, like meats, and kind of crumble them up a little with my fingers and give it to him, too. 

I probably don't do a lot of what's considered "BLW", since it's a bit modified. :P  But it is what works with us.  We also started out with purees because he wouldn't gum food AT ALL for a long time. 

Thank you, EFFers! I thought I was a BLW fail, haha. Yeah, she has these redic sweet chubby cheeks, and she has to fit the WHOLE TRAY of food in her teeny hammy fists and shovel it all in her mouth at once or it might all disappear! Then she smiles at you an all the food falls out, lol. 

Dainty, she ain't! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"