Special Needs
Options

Dyspraxia/Apraxia ?

We found out about a month ago that DD has dyspraxia.  We have a fantastic therapist which we have worked with for over 4 months now. In that time I have been pleased with DD's progress. My question is.... do dyspraxic/apraxic children have the same word explosion that normal (I am sure another word is more appropriate here) kids go through?  It is an unrealistic expectation that one day her vocab will "explode"? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers,Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Dyspraxia/Apraxia ?

• Options

My son has a pretty severe case, and I am not expecting any vocabulary explosion (been in therapy for a year and a half already).  Because it is a motor planning issue, it takes a lot of time for my son to learn how to form each sound.  And then when we get one sound down, we have to work on pairing it with another sound to form a word. 

That said, he has had a sign language vocabulary explosion.  It amazes me how quickly he picks up signs.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

That's a good question....I had a friend who told me that her son was diagnosed with dyspraxia around 3, and about 6 months later he had a word explosion.  When she first told me, to be honest, I thought either she was full of **** or her son wasn't really dyspraxic.

My son was diagnosed dyspraxic between 2 and 2 and 1/2.  (Contreversial since he was so young, but he displayed all the common characteristics.)  I was told not to expect any speech before 3, and poor speech until around 5.  Fast forward to today (2 months short of his third birthday), and he has made remarkable progress.  He still struggles with speech - gropes for the motor plan for words, and has trouble with sentences, etc, but he really is a different kid.  I think intensive speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, constant practice at home, and omega-3's have made a difference in his case.  I also don't think his case was as severe as we were originally told.  He still has a LONG way to go, but I have more hope and optimism than I did a year ago.

Good luck on this journey and keep us posted!

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagenictel:

That's a good question....I had a friend who told me that her son was diagnosed with dyspraxia around 3, and about 6 months later he had a word explosion.  When she first told me, to be honest, I thought either she was full of **** or her son wasn't really dyspraxic.

My son was diagnosed dyspraxic between 2 and 2 and 1/2.  (Contreversial since he was so young, but he displayed all the common characteristics.)  I was told not to expect any speech before 3, and poor speech until around 5.  Fast forward to today (2 months short of his third birthday), and he has made remarkable progress.  He still struggles with speech - gropes for the motor plan for words, and has trouble with sentences, etc, but he really is a different kid.  I think intensive speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, constant practice at home, and omega-3's have made a difference in his case.  I also don't think his case was as severe as we were originally told.  He still has a LONG way to go, but I have more hope and optimism than I did a year ago.

Good luck on this journey and keep us posted!

Nictel- Can you tell me what the signs were and when you became concerned? Did he have any words/ sounds?

Thanks! 

• Options
    I started having concerns when my son was about 2.5. He had maybe two word approximations at the time and very limited range of sounds. The EI prescreening question (when I finally called when he was closer to 2) was if he was speaking in 2 word phrases. Needless to say, he qualified for services. His mouth would hang open constantly and he had a really poor suck, which was the result of muscle weakness in his mouth. Looking back, he hardly babbled at all when he was little.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"