Special Needs
Options

Does it bother you when a doctor says, "I think?"

I know they aren't perfect, but the neurosurgeon we took Peyton too irked me.  She went in late January & I just got her report from him in the mail yesterday.  Just in time, seeing as how she now needs a second opinion because the urologist thinks the lipoma is causing urinary issues.  

Either way, it says in the report, "I think this is not an obvious tethered cord."

WHAT?

To me, that statement is saying it could still possibly be one..maybe just not as apparent.  I don't know what could change to make it obvious, except growth maybe, or something to that effect.

I feel like this would have made me feel better, "In my professional opinion this child does not have a tethered cord."

If she has to have spinal surgery for the lipoma, or something else, that may be the final straw to me not needing medication.   

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

Re: Does it bother you when a doctor says, "I think?"

• Options
    I find in general doctors don't like to make statements that commit them to anything because something can show up that will change their view and they don't want people coming back and saying "Well, you said XYZ." I'm used to the non-committal answers at this point. 
  • Options

imageduchess0727:
    I find in general doctors don't like to make statements that commit them to anything because something can show up that will change their view and they don't want people coming back and saying "Well, you said XYZ." I'm used to the non-committal answers at this point. 

I would assume this.  Saying "I think" leaves an opening.  Saying "in my opinion" is much more definite.  Believe me, I will never forget seeing in my son's medical records where the doctor put that he felt my son was normal.  He was diagnosed with CP 3mos later. It completely validated that I didn't feel that pedi took my concerns seriously but that comment, when I think about, pisses me off because DS2 is obviously not normal.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageduchess0727:

It's also a liability issue.  If you have a written statement that commit a doctor to something, and then in the future find out your child had a tethered cord, you could go back and sue them. 

• Options
    imagejesspacatc:

imageduchess0727:

It's also a liability issue.  If you have a written statement that commit a doctor to something, and then in the future find out your child had a tethered cord, you could go back and sue them. 

This makes more sense to me.  I guess being on both ends would be bad & I definitely agree that everyone had a valid point on how it can suck either way.  

But, I feel like now, we are back at square one and find myself wondering if she does have a tethered cord.

We already have a 2nd opinion neurosurgeon consult (maybe i should bring along big head baby and have him look at her too lol).  

I just feel like if you can be rude to me in person then commit to your statement in your report.   

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Options
    imagejesspacatc:

imageduchess0727:

My first thought was also liability.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ha! I have had more than one doctor say, "He is just going to be a mystery." We have learned to laugh about it.

I do understand your frustration with a rude doc, though. That is going to make everything they do annoying to you. ;) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"