Breastfeeding
Options

How long does it take for supply to be really gone

I posted the other day that after a week of no pumping or nursing I got very engorged. I pumped for relief. 48 hours later same thing happened. I hope I am not encouraging the milk by pumping. Thoughts?

Re: How long does it take for supply to be really gone

• Options

Pumping or feeding will encourage your body to produce more milk.  So if you are getting engorgement since stopping you wouldn't want to do either of those.  You can get relief from engorgement with heating pads, got showers, and soaking in the tub.  If you want more ideas I would recommend you contact a local LC or breastfeeding organization to manage engorgement without getting mastisis.  Good luck!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It took 3 weeks after stopping BF completely until I just didn't HURT anymore.  It took a couple months until I didn't really leak, and as far as the size goes, I'm still evening out 1.5 years later.

When you pump, you encourage your body to make more.  I found some relief by standing in a hot shower and massaging some milk out.  I also took sudafed.

Good luck.  The drying up process SUCKS.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm almost a year out (I EP'd) and I still leak sometimes.  I stopped pumping pretty gradually so that I really didn't have any discomfort.  Maybe you can hand express in the shower just enough so that you aren't uncomfortable?
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"