3rd Trimester

What is your favorite cakeball recipe?

Now that I'm off work, I decided I was going to make some cake balls this week to have out for the nurses in L & D.

Any recommended recipes?

Anyone else doing something like this for the nursing staff or family at the hospital?

BTW, I know I don't NEED to do this, its that I really don't think I'm having this kid this week and I have the time. Thought it would be a nice gesture. 

Re: What is your favorite cakeball recipe?

• Lurking a week early...what's a cakeball?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just found one online that looks tasty...

https://www.bakerella.com/red-velvet-cake-balls/

• Loading the player...
  • Essentially you bake any type of cake, and then mix it with a type of frosting and form into balls, then dip in a type of chocolate coating.

The most basic recipe is chocolate cake mix, cream cheese frosting, and chocolate, but I'm wanting to look for some unique combinations and coatings. 

• OK answered my own question. Just found a great website:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:x5ZZ-G2rEV0J:hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Make-Cake-Balls+german+chocolate+cake+balls&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

I'm thinking german chocolate cake balls and carrot & cream cheese cake balls...Kinda wish they were already made!

• I don't have a specific recipe but I have ideas. A shop I know of makes them and takes online orders for mailing. Some of their recipes are: red velvet cake w/ white chocolate coating, vanilla cake and milk chocolate, cookie dough flavored cake and milk chocolate, lemon cake w/ white chocolate, peanut butter cake w/ milk chocolate...etc the list goes on. They have the flavors listed on their website. Just be creative and make it up! You can't really go wrong with cake and chocolate.

I'm IN LOVE with them, had them at my baby shower in cute designs ; )

• I'm not trying to be rude, just wondering if the food will be in your room or are you giving it to the nurses station. The thought of my nurse checking my cervix, dealing with all my other bodily fluid issues, and then munching on some cake balls while I am writhing in pain (and not allowed to drink or eat) does not sound so appetizing and I don't think it would to them if you plan to have them in your hospital room. I was just curious if you had thought about that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh my god, thank you for introducing me to these! How adorable! I can't wait to try to make some
    Cloth-diapering, co-sleeping, breast-feeding, C-section Mama Photobucket
  • I just had my first cakeball a few weeks ago, they are the most amazing thing ever! I am sure the nurses will love them : )
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are doing cake Pops in chocolate cake w/cream cheese frosting dipped in pale blue chocolate.  The tag we'll attach to them will say... "Join in the fun as we celebrate our new son"....and his name.  My DH will bring them in AFTER LO is born and I will be doing them up ahead of time and freezing them.  I'm having a c-section so no gross fluids in the actual room.  AND mine will be individually sealed with a clear celophane sleeve. 

The recipe I found on www.bakearilla.com just calls for one 13x9 cake cooled and almost a full tub of frosting added in.

• imagedbertagni:
    I'm not trying to be rude, just wondering if the food will be in your room or are you giving it to the nurses station. The thought of my nurse checking my cervix, dealing with all my other bodily fluid issues, and then munching on some cake balls while I am writhing in pain (and not allowed to drink or eat) does not sound so appetizing and I don't think it would to them if you plan to have them in your hospital room. I was just curious if you had thought about that.

Aww lol I should have clarified! No we will NOT have these out while IN labor/delivery. Hubs will be bringing them to the hospital once we are in recovery and family and friends are around. (we live two blocks from the hospital) For the nurses, we'll probably drop some off at the nursing station.

No family is allowed in until we have been moved to recovery (except my mom if she chooses) and essential staff.

Also, those cake balls pics look AMAZING! Probably won't have the time to make them THAT cute!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"